Bulldogs end short of sweet 16

For the Butler men’s basketball team, the 2012-13 season ended against a team it beat at the buzzer during the Maui Invitational.
Marquette overcame an eight-point halftime disadvantage in the third round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament to win 74-72 and to advance to the Sweet 16.
Junior guard Vander Blue scored a career-high 29 for the Golden Eagles. He scored 21 in Marquette’s November game against Butler.
“I think he’s a really good player (with) his speed as a separator,” Butler coach Brad Stevens said.
Marquette senior guard Junior Cadougan said he felt the game was the epitome of Marquette basketball.
“I feel like every game that we play, it’s going to be a grind-out, hard-boxing match from the start to the end,” Cadougan said. “We grind every day, and we come ready to play every game.”
Senior guard Rotnei Clarke scored a team-high 24 points for the Bulldogs, but he was shut out over the final 15 minutes of the contest.
“Second half, me and (sophomore guard) Derrick Wilson did a great job of gearing him down and contesting his shots and trying to wear him out,” Cadougan said.
Senior guard Trent Lockett and junior forward Jamil Wilson each contributed 13 points for Marquette.
Senior center Andrew Smith was the only other Bulldog in double figures with 17 points.
Saturday was the final game in a Butler uniform for Clarke, Smith and fellow seniors Chase Stigall and Emerson Kampen.
Marquette will face Miami in the Sweet 16 Thursday evening.