Women’s soccer begins final stretch

The Butler women’s soccer team will travel to George Washington on Friday to begin its final Atlantic 10 Conference road trip of the season.
The Bulldogs (9-4-4) have yet to win an A-10 road match this year, losing once and tying in another match.
Butler is aiming to remain in the top five of the A-10 with two regular season conference matches left.
“I think that ending our season on the road is not ideal because we have had such good results on our home field, but I think we are going to rise to the challenge,” junior midfielder Mary Allen said.
The Colonials (4-11-1, 0-7-0) are looking for their first A-10 victory of the season when they face the Bulldogs this week.
On Sunday, the Bulldogs went into double overtime for the third time in 2012, resulting in a tie with Saint Joseph’s at the Butler Bowl.
The Bulldogs and the Hawks (8-5-4, 3-1-3) went into the contest tied for fifth in the conference standings, and they remained that way after the match.
The Bulldogs outshot the Hawks 32-4, but were unable to net a goal.
“We were able to get so many shots because we figured out how to play around the other team and keep the ball on the ground,” sophomore forward Stephanie Kaylor said.
Butler has not lost in the Bowl since Aug. 17, winning seven matches there in that time.
The Bulldogs picked up a win against A-10 foe Temple on Friday in a match dedicated to Real Dawgs Wear Pink.
The Bulldogs sported pink uniforms for the match against the Owls (5-11-2, 2-5-0) to raise awareness for breast cancer.
“The pink game did have a special meaning to us because one of the team parents had breast cancer and beat it,” Kaylor said. “This also gave us more incentive to win the game for her.”
Both squads recorded a goal in the match’s first 45 minutes.
Butler took over in the second half, not allowing the Owls a shot in the entire half.
Freshman midfielder Sophia Maccagnone drilled the game-winning goal off a free kick in the 88th minute, giving the Bulldogs the eventual final 2-1 advantage.
Maccagnone tallied her ninth and 10th goals of the season against Temple, tying her for fourth in the A-10 for goals scored.