Track battles weather, missing teammates at Polytan Invite

The Butler track and field team was up against both runners and the weather at last weekend’s Polytan Invitational, hosted by Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind.

The three-day meet, which ended last Saturday, featured athletes from more than 20 different teams.

Freshman Tom Brueggeman raced to one of Butler’s best finishes, seventh place in the men’s 100-meter dash with a time of 11.14.

Brueggeman also finished 11th in the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 22.34.

“His time in the 200 is right around his best, so that was good to see,” Butler head coach Matt Roe said.

Senior Brent Sever finished ninth in the men’s 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.43, and freshman Mick Wang finished 13th in the same race (15.77).

Freshman Alex Berry took 10th in the men’s 400-meter in 48.96, a lifetime best.

“He’s ranked third in the conference in that event, which is outstanding as a freshman,” Roe said.

Junior Matt Proctor finished fourth in the men’s 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:48.28, and senior Matt Lawder took sixth in the same race, doing so in 9:55.70.

Senior Rosie Edwards’ time of 18:02.03 was good enough for 11th in the women’s 5000-meter, and sophomore Shelbi Burnett ‘s time of 11:09.17 put her in sixth in the women’s 3000-meter steeplechase.

“Overall, it was a good meet without some of our athletes who were in California last weekend,” Roe said. “The weather played a little bit of factor with a lightning delay, but I thought we performed well given the circumstances.”

The team will next compete April 30 at the IUPUI-hosted Stan Lyons Invitational in Indianapolis.