Will Butler have a lack of Mack?

Butler University junior guard Shelvin Mack has made himself eligible for the 2011 National Basketball Association Draft. He has not hired an agent and may therefore retain his eligibility if he withdraws before May 8.

“I’m exploring my options and gathering information to see what opportunities might exist for me,” Mack said. “I’ve always had a dream to play in the NBA, and I want to make an informed decision on that possiblity.”

Mack, who started all but the “Senior Day” game this past season, led the Bulldogs in assists (131), and was Butler’s second-leading scorer in the 2010-11 season, with 16.0 points per game.

Mack overachieved in the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, though, averaging 20.3 points in Butler’s six NCAA tournament games. He scored 30 points in Butler’s victory over No. 1 seed Pittsburgh and 27 in the Regional Final win against No. 2 seed Florida.

Mack was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Southeast Regional after the first four NCAA tournament games, and he was named to his second-consecutive All-Tournament Team at the Final Four.

“It’s really exciting any time you have a player and person of Mack’s caliber in a position where we can do the research on what his NBA opportunities might be,” Butler head coach Brad Stevens said. “We look forward to helping him through every step of this process and gathering information to help him with his decision.”

Mack is currently 11th on Butler’s all-time scoring list with 1,527 points, which is four points behind Wayne Burris (1973-77).

Mack is Butler’s second-consecutive underclassman to declare for the NBA Draft and second in the school’s history.

The first was Gordon Hayward, who was selected No. 9 overall by the Utah Jazz in last year’s NBA Draft.