Women’s basketball defeats Youngstown State

Senior Chloe Hamilton led the pack of Dawgs in their win against the Penguins from Youngstown State by scoring a career-high 34 points to lead the Butler women’s basketball team to a 73-56 win.

Hamilton’s career night is the highest output from a Bulldog player in 10 years(the highest single-game performance by a Bulldog since Sarah Bolten had 37 points in a game in 2001.) which also tied for the fifth-highest in in school history. Hamilton, whose previous high was 27, finished 11 for 16 from the floor and 12 of 14 at the free throw line. She added nine rebounds, two assists and a block.

Hamilton had 20 points on 8-for-11 shooting in the first half, nearly out-scoring the Penguins by herself. She scored 12 of BU’s first 19 points as the Bulldogs got out to an early 19-4 lead with just under 10 minutes remaining in the half.

However, it wasn’t a solo effort as Senior Brittany Bowen added 12 points and eight rebounds for the Bulldogs while Sophomore Becca Bornhorst scored nine.

With the second half the Bulldogs weren’t ready to let up, as they continued to extend their lead. BU led 54-32 after back-to-back 3-pointers by senior Alyssa Pittman. The Bulldogs would lead by 24  early in the half and cruise the rest of the way. Youngstown State (3-20, 1-11) would pull to within 14 late in the second half but that’s as close as the Bulldogs would let them get.

With the win Butler broke a two-game losing streak and will hope to continue its swing through Northeast Ohio Saturday afternoon(Feb.12th) when they play Cleveland State As part of the Men’s-Women’s double-header.