TV shows return from winter break with new heat

[imagebrowser id=11]When the icy days and frigid nights leave you stuck inside, be relieved to know TV’s most popular shows are coming back after their mid-winter break and are better than ever.

The Office:
The hit sitcom returned last Thursday to finish Steve Carell’s final season as Dunder Mifflin’s dim-witted, but well-meaning regional manager Michael Scott. For the remainder of this season, expect more appearances from Holly (Amy Ryan), Jan (Melora Hardin), Karen (Rashida Jones) and Roy (David Denman)—all recurring characters from seasons passed.

Carell is set to leave the series four episodes prior to the season finale, so the focus will shift to Michael’s replacement. Top candidates for the job are Andy (Ed Helms), Dwight (Rainn Wilson), Daryll (Craig Robinson) or a newcomer.

Parks and Recreation:
Season three premiered Jan. 20. The third season focuses on Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) struggling to keep her optimism for public service in the face of disparagement about government and economic cutbacks.

In an upcoming episode, Leslie and Ron (Nick Offerman) drive to Indianapolis to receive commendation for the Pawnee Harvest Festival, while Tom (Aziz Ansari) holds a launch party for his new fragrance, “Tommy Fresh.” Future guest stars include Megan Mullally and Jim O’Heir.

Glee:
The teen music phenomenon returned last Sunday, following the Super Bowl. Coming up this season Rachel’s (Lea Michele) love life will come back on the radar, but it is unknown whether it will involve Puck (Mark Salling) or Finn (Cory Monteith). Lauren Zizes (Ashley Fink) is expected to have a big solo this season and there are rumors that Quinn (Dianna Agron) and Sam (Chord Overstreet) will break up. However, both will find comfort in the arms of other Glee cast members.

Future guest stars may include Anne Hathaway and Javier Bardem.

Modern Family:

The comedy series “Modern Family” is scheduled to premiere its latest season tonight. Last year’s Emmy winner for best comedy, upcoming episodes feature parents Claire (Julie Bowen) and Phil (Ty Burrell) role playing on Valentine’s Day again and Fizbo the clown is not invited to his own daughter’s birthday.

Future guest stars include Shelley Long, Nathan Lane and Jonathan Banks.

Kourtney and Kim Take New York:
The show premiered Jan. 23 with Kardashian sisters Kourtney and Kim moving to New York to open their newest Dash store. In the coming weeks, expect to follow Kim’s friendship with singer Ciara. The show seems to be lacking the personality of sister Khloe, who is never afraid to tell her big sisters her opinion on anything and everything.

Look for an appearance from Kanye West as well.

Parenthood:
Season two came back on Feb. 1. There are huge story lines coming up for the fan-endeared Amber (Mae Whitman), involving a possible new relationship. The rest of the season will show plenty of family drama with all of the characters. Some guest stars coming in the future include John Corbett and Jason Ritter.