Track makes successful strides in South Bend

In her second collegiate season, sophomore Kirsty Legg is showing that she has a lot to offer the Butler track program in the future.

She continued her dominance this season by finishing third in the women’s mile at the Meyo Invitational in South Bend, Ind., this weekend. Her time of 4:43.08 was only three seconds behind the winner, sophomore Rebecca Addison of the University of Michigan.

“I was hoping for a fast race this weekend so I could get the automatic qualifying time for the NCAA Indoor Championships,” Legg said. “However, the race did not go as planned. I still ran my second fastest mile ever—two seconds slower than the school record.”

While her third place finish was the highest the Butler program had this weekend, a few other runners finished strong.

Sophomore Katie Clark finished fifth in the women’s 3000-meter with a time of 9:33.48.

On the men’s side of things, senior Justin Roeder finished fifth in the 5000-meter, the highest men’s finish from the weekend. His time was 14:24.96.

Junior Craig Gundersen finished 14th in the same race, with a time of 14:37.11.

Freshman Ross Clarke finished eighth in the men’s mile with a time of 4:05.38.

Sophomore Craig Jordan finished eighth in the 800-meter, with a time of 1:53.69.

“Overall I thought the team ran very well,” head coach Matt Roe said. “We had several outstanding performances.”

The Bulldogs have a busy weekend coming up, as some of the team travels to Bloomington, Ind., for the Hoosier Hills meet, while another part of the team travels to Seattle for the Husky Classic, hosted by the University of Washington.

“The meet in Seattle is one of the top indoor meets in the country,” Legg said. “Hopefully we can put together a good showing and get ready for our conference championships two weeks after Seattle.”

The Husky Classic is a two-day meet, taking place on Friday and Saturday.

The Hoosier Hills event will be held on Friday.