Track looks to build off strong showing at IU Relays

The Butler men’s and women’s track teams were in Bloomington this past weekend for the Indiana Relay meet.

For sophomore Kirsty Legg, it was a meet to remember.

Legg, who ran the 800 meters and the mile this weekend, took second in both and built upon her already impressive resume.

“We have a few people running at a national level, which is definitely a good thing,” head coach Matt Roe said.

Legg, after this weekend, is ranked 15th nationally in the 800 meters.

Senior Kris Gauson also had a nice showing in his mile. He took third with a time of 4.00.31, only three seconds off the winner.

While that time wasn’t his fastest this season, Gauson is still ranked third in the country in the mile.

Katie Clark, a sophomore, ran the mile along with Legg.

While she may have been overshadowed a bit by Legg’s performance, Clark still managed to turn a time of 4.46.00, good for fifth overall at the meet.

Freshman Ross Clarke continued to build off what has already been a very successful first season. He took seventh in the mile with a time of 4.04.07.

“I haven’t seen what everyone else has been doing, but Ross has to be one the fastest freshmen in the country,” Roe said.

In a meet that was dominated by Butler’s distance runners, freshman Brad Magnetta provided a nice change of pace. He picked up a surprising first place finish in the 600 meters with a time of 1.22.86.

“We have been very impressed with Magnetta and what he’s been able to do for us over the past few weeks,” Roe said.

Coach Roe had nothing but positive things to say about the meet this weekend.

“Overall, it was a great meet. I thought we showed some improvement from last week,” he said. “Across the board, I thought we were much stronger than last week.”

This Friday and Saturday, Feb, 4 and 5, the Bulldogs head up to South Bend for the Meyo Invitational.

“This is some of the best competition we’re going to see, so it’s a big deal if you qualify,” freshman Matt Schumacker said.

With the majority of their season still ahead of them, the Bulldogs look forward to building off of the early season success they’ve been having.