Former Michigan coach takes over men’s soccer

On the heels of one of the best men’s soccer seasons in school history, Butler has named Paul Snape as the program’s new head coach.

The former University of Michigan associate head coach fills the vacancy left by Kelly Findley after he accepted the head coaching job at North Carolina State last month.

This season, Snape helped lead the Wolverines to their first ever Big Ten tournament title and a spot in the 2010 NCAA Division I College Cup Final Four.

“Paul Snape has been a star for us at Michigan,” Michigan head coach Steve Burns said in a Michigan press release. “He is a top recruiter with a great eye for talent, he connects with people on a very human level and he is a tireless worker that helped raise the level of our program over the last eight seasons.”

After spending six years as an assistant coach at Michigan, Snape was promoted to associate head coach in 2009.

“We’re excited to have Paul join our staff,” Butler athletic director Barry Collier said in a press release. “He’s been part of a very successful program at Michigan and he’s had an instrumental role in developing Michigan talent.

“We’ve had tremendous success in our men’s soccer program and we feel that Paul is the right person to keep us moving forward.”

The Bulldogs, led by Ben Sippola, who was drafted by the Columbus Crew on Jan. 18, won the Horizon League regular season and tournament titles.

Butler finished the season with a 16-1-3 record and was ranked as high as No. 5 in the nation.