Staff picks: 2024 MLB Playoffs

The MLB playoffs start Oct. 1 and run through Nov. 2. Photo courtesy of MLB.com 

For baseball fans, October is synonymous with one thing: postseason play. That time has come, as the playoffs are just getting underway. Here are the teams that the Collegian’s sports section think will lift the Commissioner’s Trophy.

CALEB DENORME | SPORTS EDITOR | cdenorme@butler.edu 

To me, baseball is uncharted territory. I can tell you whatever you want to know about literally every sport other than baseball. With that being said, I am rolling with the Cleveland Guardians to win the World Series. My rule is to root for whichever Ohio baseball team is better, and since the Cincinnati Reds have been in a coma for as long as I can remember, I’m rooting for the Guardians.

SARAH HOHMAN | MANAGING EDITOR | shohman@butler.edu

“Cleveland, this is for you.” That will be what Jose Ramirez will say when the Cleveland Guardians win the World Series this year. This Guardians team is fun and they have mostly solved their pitching problem that hindered them this season. A Phillies and Guardians World Series would be good for this world.

SAWYER GOLDWEIN | ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR | sgoldwein@butler.edu 

With my Washington Nationals still in rebuilding mode, I am forced to find a new home for my fandom for this year’s playoffs. I will be taking my fandom to Cleveland, where fans have been starved for another World Series win since 1948, the longest active streak in MLB. Fortunately for Guardians faithful, this year’s team might be able to break the drought. The Guards will lean on an electric bullpen to lead their scrappy, young roster through the trials and tribulations of October baseball.

Star closer and Cy Young award candidate Emmanuel Clase is the feature man, sporting a ridiculous 0.61 ERA on the season. Clase — along with an offense that features perennial all-star third baseman José Ramírez and super slugger Josh Naylor — will propel the Guardians to the World Series. Once there, they will be the David to the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Goliath, and the city of Cleveland will party like it’s 1948.

DAVID JACOBS | ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR | drjacobs@butler.edu 

Quite frankly, the only things I could tell you about baseball this season are that the White Sox stink, Paul Skenes throws some nasty pitches and Shohei Ohtani had the first 50-50 season. I did not know what the playoff picture looked like before looking it up just now. With the Detroit Tigers on a Cinderella-esque hot streak and Jake Rogers boasting a phenomenal mustache, it is hard for me not to root for them. However, give me the Brewers because my roommate is from Wisconsin and a big Brewers fan, shout out John. 

JIA SKRUDLAND | MARKETING MANAGER | jskrudland@butler.edu

I sincerely apologize to the 2024 World Series Champions as my memory of the 2024 MLB season is tainted by the 41-121 performance of the Chicago White Sox. It has been exhausting watching a poor team blatantly flop the basics of baseball — catching and fielding a baseball. One of those teams that can perform the bare minimum is the Baltimore Orioles. The O’s may rank 10th defensively but at least they rank fifth in runs scored, second in home runs and 20th in errors as a team, which are all good recipes for success in October. Oh, and Camden Yards is a breathtaking ballpark. I will forever and always ride with the Southside — no matter how painful the season —  but I’m joining The Birdland once again this postseason. 

NHU-HAN BUI | STAFF REPORTER | hbui@butler.edu 

I know nothing about baseball except that my hometown Reds are not very good and that Shohei Ohtani is very good. Although the Guardians are also an Ohio team, I refuse to back any teams from Cleveland, so the Dodgers have my vote to win.

JULIA LORELLI | STAFF REPORTER| jlorelli@butler.edu

Baseball is not my strong suit, so I’m just going to stick with what I know. Even though the Detroit Tigers barely made it into the playoffs, I have seen underdog teams beat those favored to win it all like when the 2019 Nationals beat the Astros to win the World Series. The Tigers had a 0.2% chance to make the playoffs in August, but they have been the hottest team since, going 31-11 down the stretch. This is the first time the Tigers have been to the playoffs in 10 years. I also have to stick with my roots, so Tigers all the way.

DOROTHY LAKSHMANAMURTHY | STAFF REPORTER | dlakshmanamurthy@butler.edu

Baseball is not my forte. So, I am making my prediction based on a subject I do know well: fashion. I think the team that has the best uniform will take home the win because if you look good, you feel good. That is why the Phillies have my full support with their classic pin-striped uniforms. I appreciate the attention to detail on their jerseys, in which the “i”s in the word Phillies are dotted with little blue stars. I almost chose the Orioles because their uniform colors are perfect for the Halloween season, but winning the World Series is a year-long title, not seasonal.