Butler Sports Weekly Recap March 15 – March 21

Senior Cory Bosecker struck out nine in five innings against Northwestern on March 19. Photo by Lauren Gdowski.

SARAH HOHMAN | SPORTS CO-EDITOR | shohman@butler.edu

Wednesday, March 15

Softball at Purdue Fort Wayne

The softball team came from behind to beat Purdue Fort Wayne 5-4. The Bulldogs jumped ahead early in the top of the first when they hit three doubles and scored three runs. Paige Dorsett hit a double to center that scored Kaylee Gross. Monique Hoosen hit a two-run double to send Sydney Carter and Dorsett home. In the bottom of the fourth, Purdue Fort Wayne hit a home run to make the score 3-2. In the fifth, the Mastodons scored two more on three hits and two walks. In the top of the seventh, Ella White hit a lead-off double and Dorsett produced her second double of the day to send White home, tying the score at four. An Ellie Boyer single allowed Dorsett to tag home and score the winning run. Sophomore Kayla Noerr started for the Bulldogs and went four innings, giving up two runs and four hits. Butler will host IUPUI on Wednesday, March 22.

Thursday, March 16

Men’s tennis vs Bellarmine

The Butler men’s tennis team won 5-2 to improve their record to 10-6 on the season. In doubles, Alvaro Huete Vadillo and Thomas Brennan won 6-3 in the No. 1. Rahulniket Konakanchi and Patrick Joss earned a point at the No. 3 position as well. Huete Vadillo, Joss and Konakanchi also all won their singles matches as well. 

Friday, March 17

Men’s track and field at Blizzard Buster

The Butler men’s track and field team opened their outdoor season in Oxford, Ohio at the Blizzard Buster on Friday. Jack Elder finished first in the 400-meter hurdles at 56.37 to set a new personal record. In his collegiate debut, William Zegarski won the men’s 3,000 meters with a time of 8:18.62. Nick Doud followed closely behind to secure second place at 8:36.29.

Women’s track and field at Blizzard Buster

The women’s team also opened up their outdoor season. Reagan Kelly earned third place with her time of 26.11 in the women’s 200 meters. Elsa Rusthoven and Morgan Werner placed third and fourth, respectively, in the 3,000 meters with times of 9:58.52 and 10:01.89.

Women’s tennis at Miami (Ohio)

The Butler women’s tennis team fell to Miami of Ohio on Friday 6-1. The loss moved the Bulldogs to 6-10 on the season. Natalie Boesing earned Butler’s only point when she defeated Laura Rico on the No.1 court in straight sets. The Dawgs will host IUPUI on Friday, March 24 at 1 p.m.

Saturday, March 18

Men’s tennis at Vanderbilt

The Butler men’s tennis team fell to Vanderbilt on Saturday 4-3. Brennan and Huete Vadillo were tied in the No.1 match before the Commodores clinched the point. Brennan took the No. 1 win for the Bulldogs in singles play. Aidan William and Konakanchi also defeated their opponents. The Dawgs will host DePaul on Saturday, March 25 with the first serve set for 11 a.m.

Sunday, March 19

Women’s lacrosse at Winthrop

The Butler women’s lacrosse team was defeated by Winthrop 10-9 in triple overtime. Leah Rubino scored an early goal off a Kayleigh Colleary assist just 31 seconds into the game. The duo struck again to put the Bulldogs up 2-0. The first period ended with Butler up 3-2. Tessa Fackrell scored her first goal of the season to put the Bulldogs up on top 5-4. Winthrop was hot after halftime, outscoring Butler 3-1 in the third period. The defenses dominated for most of the fourth period and the game reached overtime with a score of 9-9. In the third overtime period Winthrop’s Scarlet Cifarelli scored the game-winning goal. The Dawgs will travel to Cincinnati to face the Bearcats on March 22 at 12 p.m. 

Baseball vs. Northwestern

The Butler baseball team fell to Northwestern 5-1 on Sunday afternoon. Butler scored in the second with a Quentin Markle RBI single that scored Lukas Galdoni. This 1-0 lead lasted until the fourth when Northwestern hit a solo home run to tie the game. Cory Bosecker was the starting pitcher for the Bulldogs. He struck out nine in five innings and left with a no decision. 

Monday, March 20

Baseball vs. Northwestern

Butler won the Monday matchup against Northwestern 3-2 to improve their record to 3-15. Galdoni provided an RBI single for the Dawgs in the first inning to knock in Carter Dorighini. In the fourth, Joey Urban singled to center to send Cade Vota home and Carter Dorighi singled to allow Kyle Van Liere to score. Dawson Taylor was credited with the win and Jon Vore threw for four innings to earn his first save of the year.

Tuesday, March 21

Baseball vs. Eastern Michigan

The Bulldogs won their second-straight game on Wednesday night by defeating Eastern Michigan 9-7. Nick Mikentinac earned the win and Aaron Barokas picked up the save. In the bottom half of the second, Butler scored five runs off three hits. Urban singled to score two, Galdoni was walked with the bases loaded to score one and Jake DeFries produced a sac fly. Another run was added in the sixth when Urban hit a triple to lead off the inning and would then score on a wild pitch. Urban went 2-4 with two RBI and two runs scored. The Dawgs improved their record to 4-15. They will travel to Muncie to face Ball State on March 22 at 2 p.m.