Butler Sports Weekly Preview Feb. 15 – Feb. 21

First-year Jessica Carrothers fights for possession against Villanova on Feb. 4. Photo by Claire Runkel.

MCKENNA SKATELL | SPORTS REPORTER | mskatell@butler.edu

Wednesday, Feb. 15

Women’s basketball vs Georgetown 

The Bulldogs take on Georgetown at 7 p.m. in Hinkle Fieldhouse. Earlier this season, the team played Georgetown on the road and won 72-48. They hope to see the same success at home. This game can be streamed on FloSports.

Thursday, Feb. 16 

Women’s tennis at University of Indianapolis

Butler takes on UIndy at 5 p.m. With a two-game winning streak, the team hopes to improve their record of 2-3 with this matchup.

Friday, Feb. 17

Baseball at Fairleigh Dickinson University  

Butler baseball starts their season in Lexington, South Carolina where they will take on the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights at 3 p.m. The Bulldogs finished last season with a record of 20-35-1. 

Softball at Florida International University/ Panther Invitational 

The Bulldogs will travel to Miami, Florida to play in the Panther Invitational. They play Missouri, FIU and Pitt across three days with two games TBD. The Bulldogs sit at 1-5 after the Spring Games/Northern Lights tournament in Leesburg, Florida. 

Women’s golf at Reynolds Lake Oconee Invitational

The women begin their spring season in Lake Oconee, Georgia for the Reynolds Lake Oconee Invitational. Some of the opposing programs include Clemson, East Carolina, Georgia Southern and Indiana. 

Saturday, Feb. 18

Track and field at Alex Wilson Invitational

The track and field team heads back to South Bend for the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame. So far this season, the team has had much success with new personal and school records. At last week’s meet in Boston, Angelina Ellis set another school record in the 3,000 meters with a time of 9:04.93. In Nashville, Gavin Cougle and Zac Stanley ran new personal bests in the 400 meters with times of 48.86 and 48.94.  

Women’s tennis at University of Illinois Chicago 

The women’s team travels to Chicago for their matchup against UIC. The team has never won against UIC, losing 11 consecutive matches against the Flames.

Women’s lacrosse vs Kent State

The lacrosse team will play their first home game this season against Kent State. The game will be played on the Varsity Fields at 1 p.m. New head coach Maggie Zentgraf searches for her first career win at Butler.   

The women’s golf team will play second-round matches at the Reynolds Lake Oconee Invitational in Lake Oconee, Georgia.

The Bulldogs will play the Knights at 12 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. 

Softball at Pitt /Panther Invitational 

The Bulldogs will play Pittsburgh at 10 a.m. It is yet to be determined who they will play in the later game, which will either be at 3 p.m. or 5:30 p.m.

Sunday, Feb.19 

Men’s basketball vs Georgetown

The Bulldogs take on Georgetown at Hinkle Fieldhouse at 3 p.m. Their previous matchup this season ended in a win for the Bulldogs 80-51. They hope to bring the same energy at home to win against the Hoyas and continue to improve their record. This game can be watched on FS1. 

Women’s tennis at DePaul 

The team stays in Chicago to play their first Big East match of the season against the Blue Demons. In the past, DePaul has been a tough competitor for the Bulldogs to beat. Since 2009, the Bulldogs are 1-14 against the Blue Demons. The game starts at 6 p.m.

The women’s golf team will wrap up their final round of play at the Reynolds Lake Oconee Invitational in Lake Oconee, Georgia.

The Bulldogs and the Knights will wrap up their series with a 12 p.m. first pitch. 

Softball at Panther Invitational

Depending on the outcomes of Saturday’s games, the Bulldogs’ opponent is yet to be determined. The game will either be played at 9:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m.

Tuesday, Feb. 21 

Women’s basketball vs Xavier 

The rivalry between Butler and Xavier continues at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Earlier this season, the Bulldogs beat the Musketeers 79-65 and hope to do the same thing on their home court. This game can be streamed on FloSports.