Culture’s Christmas coffee chaos

Holiday beverages have been long anticipated on campus. Photo courtesy of Lauren Jindrich. 

The call of a hot Starbucks coffee has grown stronger as a chilly finals season approaches. The Culture section is here for all those students who aren’t sure which drink to spend their flex dollars on. The section taste tested the lineup of new holiday drinks, which were prepared with precise professionalism by Owen Madrigal, working Starbucks barista and Culture co-editor himself.

Peppermint Mocha, 5/5 stars 

LEAH OLLIE | CULTURE CO-EDITOR | lollie@butler.edu 

For those who enjoy a classic peppermint flavor with the warm comfort of hot cocoa, look no further than the Peppermint Mocha. A returning customer favorite, this drink blends sweet mocha with fresh peppermint syrup, and pairs well with a number of milk alternatives and additional flavors. Pro-tip — try this beverage with a decaffeinated blend for a peppermint cocoa with rich, robust flavor. 

Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte, 5/5 stars

GIANNA CASSIN | STAFF REPORTER | gcassin@butler.edu

This tasty drink offers a delightful surprise. With a very minimal coffee taste, the Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte is perfect for enjoying the taste of the season. Whether it is served hot or iced, the drink delivers sugary sweetness either way. It doesn’t hold this title for no reason, as it does really taste like a sugar cookie in drink form.

Chestnut Praline Latte, 4/5 stars

EVA HALLMAN | STAFF REPORTER | ehallman@butler.edu

Sit by the yuletide fireside with this cozy holiday drink. This buttery yet savory beverage is light and not overpowering with flavors for those wishing for a drink with a hint of holiday. The spiced chestnut praline crunch on top provides a contrast to the sweet nutty latte. For those wishing for a simple holiday comfort drink, look no further and try the Chestnut Praline Latte.

Caramel Brulée Latte, 4/5 stars 

SAMANTHA COHEN | STAFF REPORTER | srcohen@butler.edu 

With strong notes of caramel and cream, this drink is reminiscent of the warmness of the holidays, without being overbearing. The drink itself is smooth and sweet, almost silky. It is a bit on the sweet side and does lack in coffee flavor — if that is what you are looking for. Overall, the Caramel Brulée Latte is a solid contender to add to your holiday drink rotation.

Decaf Toasted White Chocolate Mocha, 3/5 stars

JACK WILLIAMS | STAFF REPORTER | jrwilliams@butler.edu

This drink was warm and smooth at first — the perfect qualities for a chilly Sunday evening of studying. The white chocolate had a pleasant flavor reminiscent of cookie dough. However, the toasted note lingered for far too long and left a bitter taste. The toasted element of this drink should be left to the domain of bread, where it belongs.

Toasted White Chocolate Mocha, 2/5 stars

MASON KUPIAINEN | STAFF REPORTER | mkupiainen@butler.edu

Sugar and spice, without anything nice, this mocha drink overindulges on the sweet factor but forgets to highlight one of the main ingredients — coffee. The already too-sweet drink is overpowered by whipped cream and sprinkles to the point that it tastes more like something from a candy factory instead of a coffee shop. 

Irish Cream Cold Brew, 1/5 stars

This drink will eliminate any and all holiday cheer in its unsuspecting victims. The initial flavor of cream is reminiscent of tiramisu, but is overpowered by an indiscriminate blast of black coffee. The only upside is that it’s fun to watch the cream trickle down and mix with the rest of the drink. It would receive 0/5 stars, but any method of caffeine delivery deserves at least one.