Butler men’s soccer falls to Providence 2-1

Butler Goalkeeper Gabriel Gjergji makes one of his four saves in the team’s Oct. 15 loss against Providence. Photo courtesy of Kirk Irwin. 

JAKE KAUFMAN | SPORTS REPORTER | jfkaufman@butler.edu

The Butler men’s soccer team lost to Providence 2-1 at the Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium on Saturday night. The Bulldogs fell to 8-4-1 on the season and 3-2-1 in Big East play after the loss to the Friars.   

Providence started attacking early on, getting two early shots on goal, including a Cole Dewhurst shot that bounced off the crossbar in the seventh minute. 

Less than a minute later, Providence forward Gevork Diarbian crossed Butler fifth-year midfielder Rico Hollenkamp to the ground and sent a cross to teammate Gil Santos at the far post who fired a shot into the back of the net, giving Providence an early 1-0 lead. 

Butler did not record its first shot on goal until the 19th minute when Providence goalkeeper Rimi Olatunji saved a Wilmer Cabrera Jr. strike. 

Following the save, Butler was only able to record two shots over the next 22 minutes and struggled to get past the stifling Providence defense. 

That changed in the 43rd minute, however, as Hollenkamp dribbled the ball down the right side of the net and sent a cross into the box that Butler junior forward Kyle Hagerman headed into the left side of the net, tying the game 1-1 just before the half. 

The Bulldogs started the second half more aggressively than they did in the first with Butler captain and senior midfielder Jack Haywood lining up a shot that barely sailed above the crossbar in the 47th minute. 

Six minutes later a Providence player was fouled by Butler first-year defenseman Vygo Verkooijen in the box. Ramzi Qawasmy took the ensuing penalty kick and converted it to give Providence a 2-1 lead. 

Butler ramped up the attack for the rest of the second half in an attempt to try and level the score.

In the 70th minute, after a Cabrera Jr. shot was blocked out of play, leading to two consecutive corners, Butler senior forward Hemi Nasser got a final shot on goal that was also blocked by a Providence defenseman.

In the 75th minute, a shot from Butler graduate defenseman Brendan Hicks was saved by the Providence goalkeeper. 

Just over a minute later, Butler first-year midfielder Joost de Schutter crossed a ball that was headed by sophomore forward Nick Okoro that went just wide of the net and Butler didn’t get another chance on the net after.

Haywood came out of the game in the 56th minute with an injury and did not return.

DJ Hooks and de Schutter received yellow cards for Butler in the 85th and 87th minutes respectively, while Jason Pereira received Providence’s only yellow card in the 87th minute.

The Bulldogs outshot the Friars 15-8, but only four of Butler’s shots were on goal compared to six for Providence. 

Hagerman’s goal was his third of the season and his career. Hollenkamp’s assist was the fourth of the season and the fifth of the career. 

Butler falls to 6-4-1 all-time vs. Providence. 

The Bulldogs will continue their Big East schedule with a road matchup against Creighton on Wednesday, Oct. 19.