Butler vs. Tiffin: What you need to know

Butler guard Aaron Thompson drives to the rim for a layup in a matchup against St.John’s on Feb. 9, 2021. Butler went on to win 76-73 in overtime. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics.

ASHLEY DESSERICH | SPORTS REPORTER | adesseri@butler.edu

Butler’s first matchup against Tiffin — a Division II program — will be an opportunity for them to get ahead and prove their abilities as they prepare for the upcoming season, which officially starts Nov. 9. 

Who: Butler vs. Tiffin 

When: Saturday, October 30, 2 p.m. ET

Where: Hinkle Fieldhouse

How to listen: WXNT 1430AM

1. Hinkle Fieldhouse will be at full capacity for the first time since March 2020

After a year of limited seating capacity, Hinkle Fieldhouse will be lifting their social distancing restrictions. Allowing fans to once again fill the stands to cheer on the Dawgs. Expect the atmosphere to be electrical as the Dawgs take the court for the first time in front of an excited crowd.

2. Five freshmen players will join the Dawgs this season

With the addition of four freshmen this season — including DJ Hughes, Jayden Taylor, Pierce Thomas and Simas Lukosius — Butler will work to get them adjusted to the team by giving them playing time. The additional playing time during the preseason will allow the underclassmen to get acclimated to their roles, so when the season starts on Nov. 9 they will be ready to contribute. As a very experienced team otherwise, the freshmen will give Butler an advantage because they can gain experience playing behind and learning from upperclassmen. 

3. The matchup against Tiffin will give Butler a chance to prove their abilities

Since Tiffin is a Division II program and had a record of 5-14 in 2020-2021, this will give Butler a chance for their younger and newly acquired transfers to get playing time. This will open the doors for the Dawgs to show off the hard work they have been putting in all summer and leading up to now.