Butler vs. Missouri: Quick hits

Aaron Thompson (left) brings the ball down the court while Jordan Tucker (right) gets in position offensively during a game this season. Chandler Hart / Collegian file photo.

CHRIS BROWN | SPORTS EDITOR | cbbrown@butler.edu

The Butler men’s basketball team scored 25 points in the first eight minutes and relied on strong defense the rest of the way en route to a 63-52 win over the University of Missouri on Nov. 25. 

The Bulldogs improved to 6-0 and picked up their first win outside Hinkle Fieldhouse this season. Here’s a look at some of the key news, stats and notes from the victory:

Butler’s 38 points in the first half were the most that the Tigers have given up in a half this season. Wofford’s 31 points in the first half against Missouri on Nov. 18 had previously been the most.

The Bulldogs extended their winning streak to begin the season to six games. That’s the longest stretch of consecutive victories for the team since an eight-game winning streak to begin the 2016-17 season.

Butler’s victory over Missouri marks the team’s first neutral site win in just over a year. With the Sprint Center less than a two-hour drive from Missouri’s campus, in reality it was really more like a road game for Butler. The Bulldogs’ last win on a neutral court came against Florida on Nov. 23, 2018 in the Bahamas in the Battle 4 Atlantis. Kamar Baldwin led Butler with 19 points in the 61-54 victory.

The Bulldogs shot 48% from the field in the game, marking the first time this season a Missouri opponent has shot over 38%. Butler has now shot over 38% from the field in each of its games this season.

Bryce Golden and Kamar Baldwin tied for the Butler lead with 13 points each. Golden became the fourth player to hold at least a share of the team lead in points during a game this season. He joins Baldwin, Sean McDermott and Bryce Nze.

Butler’s 14 turnovers against Missouri broke the Bulldogs’ streak of five consecutive games to open the season without committing double-digit turnovers. Through games on Nov. 24, Butler’s 8.2 turnovers per game was the third-best mark in the country.

Aaron Thompson’s seven assists against the Tigers marked the fourth time in six games this season he’s had seven or more assists. Through games on Nov. 24, Thompson’s 6.8 assists per game was tied for the 16th-best rate in the country.

Butler held Missouri to just 18% from beyond the arc, marking the fifth time in six games to open the season the Bulldogs have limited their opponents to under 30% on 3-point shots. Through games on Nov. 24, Butler’s opponent 3-point field goal percentage of 23.5% was the 8th-best mark in the country.

What’s next: On Tuesday, Butler will take on the winner of the Oklahoma/Stanford game being played Monday night. The Bulldogs are 2-3 against Oklahoma all-time, most recently falling to the Sooners in the 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis. Butler is 2-1 against Stanford, with their last win coming in December 2011. The Hall of Fame Classic championship will be at 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.