Butler volleyball ends season with back-to-back sweeps of Xavier

Members of the Butler volleyball gather during a game this season. Photo courtesy of Butler Athletics / Brent Smith.

SYDNEY DIGRAZIA | STAFF REPORTER | sdigrazi@butler.edu 

The Butler volleyball team closed out the 2019 season with consecutive sweeps against Xavier. 

The end of Big East play came with back-to-back matches against the Bulldogs’ rival. On Nov. 22, Butler traveled to Ohio to compete in the first of two matches against Xavier. 

The Bulldogs won the match, 3-0, yet each set was tight throughout. The first and second sets were both won by a score of 25-23, as the last had a score of 25-20. 

Megan Ramseyer had a double-double in her last Big East away game, posting 32 assists and 10 digs. Anna Logan and Melody Davidson each had nine kills. 

The following day, both teams traveled to Hinkle Fieldhouse to compete in the second match. The match was senior day for the Bulldogs, and the last time Butler’s five seniors would take the court together.

Rillian Dennis, Emma Milstead, Megan Ramseyer, Brooke Gregory and Anna Logan were honored before the match on Nov. 23. 

The Bulldogs swept Xavier again, with set scores of 25-20, 25-12, and 25-22. Logan was able to finish off the match with a kill in her last appearance in a Bulldogs uniform. 

Brooke Gregory hit .500 with eight kills in set one alone. Melody Davidson had seven kills and two blocks and senior Emma Milstead had nine digs.

Butler finished their 2019 season with an overall record of 14-16, and a winning Big East record of 11-7. 

Redshirt-sophomore Melody Davidson and senior Brooke Gregory were both named to the 2019 ALL-BIG EAST Team on Nov. 27. 

Davidson was ranked second in the Big East for blocks per set at 1.17, with Gregory following not far behind in seventh place with 0.94. Both Butler middle blockers were key to this season’s success. Davidson tallied 134 blocks and 215 kills and Gregory had 108 blocks and 283 kills.