Students will soon have more opportunites to attend local concerts thanks to Butler University’s SGA concert committee

The Old National Centre is one of many Indy concert venues that host mainstream and local artists. Photo Courtesy of Old National Centre. 

TYLER BROCK | STAFF REPORTER | tbrock@butler.edu

Butler University’s SGA concert committee announced on Oct. 6 that they will be taking students to dinner and the Half Alive concert downtown Oct. 11 for free. 

This is the first of the committee’s new program to provide Butler students with tickets to concerts around the Indianapolis area. Every semester, the committee will choose approximately five concerts held at various venues around Indy and provide opportunities for students to attend these shows.

Senior health sciences major Elizabeth Wang, director of programming for SGA, is excited for the opportunities the program will provide for students.

“One of the goals of the program is to increase student access,” Wang said. “It will allow students to have concert experiences and get to experience them with other Butler students.”

Tickets will be available to students via sign-ups and giveaways hosted by SGA. Those tickets will be free to the recipient students. Students can still sign up for the Half Alive concert at the Student Involvement and Leadership office in Atherton Union 101 on Oct. 10 starting at 11 a.m. It is first come, first serve.

Additionally, for students looking to attend high-profile concerts with expensive tickets, the concert committee will provide tickets for a small premium. Along with tickets, students will be required to use the transportation provided by SGA to the concerts. 

Wang said one of the challenges for the committee was setting out to find diverse bands and artists that are in “niche categories students are interested in.”

Two confirmed venues are Bankers Life Fieldhouse and Old National Centre. Both are larger sized venues that host bands from independent or major record labels.

Indy’s Best Venues:

Old National Centre — Downtown

502 N New Jersey St 

Indianapolis, IN 46204

Upcoming: Mason Ramsey (Oct. 24), Ray Lamontagne (Oct. 27)

The Old National Centre is a landmark theatre with multiple rooms, showcasing a variety of genres each year. 

Bankers Life Fieldhouse — Downtown

125 S Pennsylvania St 

Indianapolis, IN 46204

Upcoming: Elton John (Oct. 26), The Chainsmokers (Nov. 6)

Bankers Life is home of the Indiana Pacers and is also Indy’s largest music venue.

Hi-Fi — Fountain Square

1043 Virginia Ave, Suite 4

Indianapolis, IN 46203

Upcoming: Liza Anne (Nov. 9)

Hi-Fi is an exclusive, small-scale venue with premier touring artists. 

Hoosier Dome — Fountain Square

1627 Prospect St

Indianapolis, IN 46203

Upcoming: Sanction (Nov. 20), Homesafe (Dec. 6)

The Hoosier Dome is an small and intimate hardcore punk venue. 

The Citadel Music Hall — Airport

6447 W Washington St 

Indianapolis, IN 46241

Upcoming: Tiny Moving Parts (Oct. 24), Rings of Saturn (Oct. 31)

The Citadel is Indy’s newest small-scale venue that features a myriad of emo and rock bands each year.

Ruoff — Noblesville

12880 E 146th St

Noblesville, IN 46060

Upcoming: Luke Bryan (Oct. 11)

Ruoff is an outdoor amphitheater and Indy’s second largest concert venue. 

Rathskellar — Mass. Ave.

401 E Michigan St 

Indianapolis, IN 46204

Upcoming: The Hammerheads (Oct. 25)

Rathskellar is an outdoor space with full lineups of cover bands, ambiance music, and local artists.