Butler vs Villanova: Social media recap

Sean McDermott attempts a pass in Butler’s 80-72 loss to No. 18 Villanova. Photo by Jimmy Lafakis.

DREW SANDIFER | STAFF REPORTER | dsandife@butler.edu

Villanova at Butler has become must-see TV over the last two seasons, and commentary royalty was in the building to call it yet again.

Early on, Butler and Villanova traded threes back and forth and promised a great rest of the game.

And after his heroics in the last few games, Butler fans began to be frustrated with Jordan Tucker’s playing time.

While Butler fans are notorious for thinking refs aren’t on their side, this game seemed to be especially questionable.

The Dawgs trailed for the large majority of the game and showed the fight needed for a comeback, but couldn’t get the stops to have a chance.

And Paschall and the other bigs were tearing up on Butler’s bigs.

While it was cut to four at one point, a Wildcat three point barrage put the game out of reach.

The comeback always seemed to be luring, but it eventually never came.

In the end, there weren’t enough one-on-one defenders to compete with Villanova’s stars.

One thing that stalled the Butler comeback? Turnovers. After having only one in the first half, the Bulldogs had eight in the second.

For a bubble team looking for a signature win to catapult them in the field of 68, Butler fans don’t have to look far for another opportunity. At Creighton on Friday and Vs Marquette next Wednesday.

Tip from CHI Center in Omaha is set for 8:30 pm ET on Friday. #GoDawgs