Butler announces plans for additional renovations to Hinkle Fieldhouse

What the new Efroymson Family Gym is expected to look like after it’s renovated. Photo courtesy of Butler athletics. 

JOSHUA DOERING | SPORTS EDITOR | jdoering@butler.edu

Butler University announced a fundraising initiative to finance a second phase of renovations to Hinkle Fieldhouse on Oct. 19. $8 million has already been committed to the project by Butler supporters. The total cost of the project is estimated to be $10.5 million.

“Hinkle Fieldhouse is an iconic symbol of basketball history and tradition, not only for Butler University, but for all Hoosiers,” Butler President James Danko stated in a press release. “As such, it is imperative that we continuously invest in preserving Hinkle’s historic nature, while enhancing this great facility for the competitive realities of today.”

Efroymson Family Gym will be completely redone to replicate the main court in Hinkle and imitate the brick walls of the fieldhouse. The project will include new lighting and flooring, an updated graphics package.

“The Efroymson Family Gym renovation will provide our program with a state-of-the-art facility to run practices and team activities, while also giving our student-athletes the resources to improve their skill level in a team or individual setting,” Butler men’s basketball coach LaVall Jordan said in the press release. “The renovated Efroymson Family Gym will give us a home to develop our current roster and attract future Bulldogs.”

Additionally, Hinkle’s main court, concourses and the Efroymson Family Gym will be air-conditioned.

The final part of the project is a renovation of the men’s soccer locker room, which was the only locker room in Hinkle that was not updated in the last set of renovations.

According to the release, renovations are tentatively scheduled to begin in spring 2019 and be completed in fall 2019.

The most recent plans follow an initial set of renovations completed in 2014 that cost $36 million.

The Collegian will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.