Kelan Martin signs Summer League contract with Utah Jazz

Kelan Martin during an NCAA Tournament game with the Bulldogs. Martin will play in the NBA Summer League with the Utah Jazz. Collegian file photo. 

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER | jlafakis@butler.edu

Former Butler men’s basketball player Kelan Martin signed an NBA Summer League contract with the Utah Jazz.

Martin confirmed the news to the Collegian on June 22.  

He worked out with the Jazz earlier this summer and signed after not being selected in the NBA Draft on June 21.

“I’m very excited,” Martin said. “I’m ready to get out in Utah and bond with new teammates. I’m ready to get to work and prove a lot of people wrong from this last draft.”

The NBA Summer League is the main offseason competition where teams try out summer rosters instead of regular season lineups. Teams can then sign players to regular season contracts after the games conclude.

Martin said he knows two current Jazz players personally. He previously developed relationships with forward Georges Niang and guard Donovan Mitchell.

“It will be easier for me to get to know how their system runs, just getting in the gym with those guys,” Martin said. “It will be a better opportunity for me to showcase my game and show people in the Summer League that I can be one of the best guys out there.”

Martin finished his Butler career with 2,047 points, good for second on Butler’s all-time scoring list. He averaged 21.2 points per game in his senior campaign, which led the Bulldogs.

Former Bulldogs Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward played in the Summer League. Both have experience with the Jazz, as Hayward was selected ninth overall by the western conference team in 2009. He played seven seasons for the Jazz. Mack played for the Jazz in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.

The Jazz will host the 2018 Utah Jazz Summer League on July 2, 3 and 5.

“I can be on an NBA roster,” Martin said.

Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JJLII30