Butler women’s basketball falls to St. John’s on the road

Kristen Spolyar goes up for a shot. Spolyar led the Bulldogs with 12 points. Collegian file photo. 

CHRIS BROWN | STAFF REPORTER | cbbrown@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s basketball team fell to 5-7 in Big East play and 13-11 on the season with a 76-38 road loss to St. John’s University on Feb. 2. The Bulldogs have now dropped three consecutive games.

Butler was simply overmatched from the start of the game, with St. John’s limiting the Bulldogs to just one made field goal and six total points in the first quarter. After outscoring Butler by ten points in the first quarter, the Red Storm outpaced the Bulldogs by 20 points in the second quarter to take a 45-15 lead into halftime.

The Bulldogs were held to just five made field goals in the first half, shooting 23 percent from the field, compared to over 55 percent from the Red Storm. St. John’s also made six shots from beyond the arc in the first 20 minutes of play, while Butler didn’t convert any.

Butler chipped slightly into St. John’s lead early in the third quarter, but the Red Storm still outscored the Bulldogs 16-12 in the frame and 15-11 in the fourth quarter for the victory.

Making just her second start of the season, sophomore guard Kristen Spolyar led Butler with 12 points. Junior center Tori Schickel was the only other Bulldogs’ player in double digits, finishing with 10 points and four rebounds.

After scoring just six points in Butler’s loss to St. John’s on Jan. 10, redshirt junior guard Whitney Jennings tallied seven points along with four rebounds in the game.

For the game, the Red Storm outshot the Bulldogs from the field roughly 55 percent to 24 percent. St. John’s also knocked down nearly half of their 3-point shots, compared to under 15 percent from Butler. St. John’s out-rebounded Butler 38-27.

St. John’s received 38 points, or the difference in the game, off the bench. With just two substitutes available, Butler received no bench points in the contest.

The Bulldogs will look to get back on track in a road matchup against Seton Hall University on Feb. 4.

Follow Chris on Twitter: @cbrownsports