Butler lacrosse still seeking first win of the season

Junior Adilyn Smith looks out onto Varsity Field. Butler fell to Central Michigan University 19-9 on Feb. 28. Jimmy Lafakis/Collegian file photo. 

JIMMY LAFAKIS | STAFF REPORTER | jlafakis@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s lacrosse team took a defeat at the hands of Central Michigan University on Wednesday.

The 0-3 Bulldogs lost 19-9, but their nine goals were a season-high. Redshirt junior midfielder Haley Hallenbeck achieved her first hat trick of the season in the matinee.

Hallenbeck’s three goals boosted her total to a team-high four on the season.

“My teammates set me up for great opportunities,” Hallenbeck said. “It felt awesome to find the back of the net for them.”

Butler drew first blood, but trailed 11-4 at halftime. Sophomore midfielder Ashley Lizzi, who finished fourth on the team with 11 goals last season, tallied her first goal of this season in the first half. The goal was unassisted.

“I was glad I had an opportunity to score,” Lizzi said. “It helped my team and helped us close the gap. As a team, we won at least 50 percent of the hustle stats.”

The game was a back-and-forth affair, as 16 of Butler’s 21 shots were on goal. Whenever the Bulldogs bit into the Chippewas’ lead, the home team fought back.

Butler will regroup and come home to Varsity Field for another matinee on Saturday. The Bulldogs will face the University of Detroit Mercy at 12 p.m.

“For Saturday, we will focus on playing a full 60 minutes,” sophomore Mary Davide said. “There are times when we will do really well, but it has to be constant the whole time.”

Follow Jimmy on Twitter: @JJLII30