Butler women’s soccer falls to Georgetown in Big East championship

Caitlyn DiSarcina controls a ball in an exhibition game against Morehead State. Photo by Jimmy Lafakis.

COLLIN PERRY | ASST SPORTS EDITOR | ccperry@butler.edu

The Butler women’s soccer team lost in the Big East championship game to Georgetown University 3-0 on Nov. 5. It is the first loss for the Bulldogs since their loss to Ohio University on Aug. 20.

The Hoyas struck first early on in the match. In the sixth minute, Taylor Pak scored off of an assist by Rachel Corboz. Georgetown dominated the first half offensively, outshooting the Bulldogs 11-2 in the first 45 minutes.

The second half was much of the same for the Hoyas. Caitlyn Farrell scored off of a freshman goalkeeper Leonie Doege save to give Georgetown a 2-0 lead in the 50th minute. Corboz would add a goal in the 88th minute to finish the game.

Senior defender Shannon McDevitt, redshirt sophomore defenders Annika Schmidt, Kyra Cooke and junior forward Halle Stelbasky were the only Bulldogs who registered a shot in the game. One of their four shots were on goal.

Butler falls to 13-2-5 on the season after the loss, while Georgetown repeats as Big East champions at 14-3-3. The Bulldogs will wait to see if they will receive an at-large bid into the NCAA tournament. The field will be announced on Nov. 6. The first round of the tournament will be played between Nov. 10-12 and will be hosted by the higher seeded team.