Butler women’s golf takes ninth in Florida invitational

The women’s golf team poses with a trophy from earlier this season. Photo from butlersports.com.

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

The Butler women’s golf team finished ninth of 11 teams in the Babs Steffens Invitational in Deland, Florida, March 26-27.

The team finished with a team total 931 after three rounds.

Leading the Bulldogs was junior Abigail Gleixner who was the low individual for the Bulldogs. Gleixner finished the tournament with a +6 total of 222 which put her in a tie for sixth place.

The Bulldogs did not have another individual finish inside the top 30. Sophomore Lauren Tibbets finished in a tie for 32nd with a three round total of 232. Juniors Rachel Gathof and Kelsey McDougall finished in a tie for 42nd and a tie for 52nd, respectively. Freshman Betsy Werner rounded out the Butler lineup in 56th with a three round total of 248.

The Bulldogs struggled with taking advantage of the Par 5’s in Deland, finishing last in scoring on those holes at +26. Birdies were not coming easily either for Butler, the team finished the tournament with 18 birdies ahead of only Brown University who had 13 birdies of their own.

Saint Leo University took home the team title with a three round score of 880. Saint Leo junior Amanda Jakobsson won the individual title with a three round total of 212.

The Butler women’s golf team will return to the course April 9-10 when they compete in the Indiana State Invitational in Terre Haute.