Butler women’s tennis goes 1-1 over the weekend

Freshman Nina Bertino goes for a swing on the tennis courts. Photo from butlersports.com

JOSH MULLENIX | STAFF REPORTER | jmulleni@butler.edu

The Butler University women’s tennis team went 1-1 over the weekend with a 4-3 win over Missouri State and a 5-2 loss to SIUE.

Butler was led by junior Bailey Padgett who won both the No. 1 singles match and the No. 1 doubles match against Missouri. The Bulldogs took two more points in the singles matches. Freshman Nina Bertino won 6-0, 6-4 in her No. 6 singles match and sophomore Angela Avgerinos won 2-6, 6-3, 7-5 in her No. 4 singles match.

The Bulldogs took the first point of the day in the doubles matches winning two of the three courts. Padgett and senior Kailey Eaton were victorious in the No. 1 match and senior Grace Hyde and freshman Caroline McAuley secured a win in the No. 3 doubles match.

After the Feb. 10 win against Missouri State, the Bulldogs lost 5-2 to SIUE Feb. 11.

The Cougars captured the doubles point to start the match and then captured the first four singles matches. The two points for the Bulldogs came from solid efforts in the No. 5 and No. 6 singles from McAuley and junior Callie Schmit.

The Butler women’s tennis team, now 2-7 on the season, returns to action when they host University of Nebraska-Omaha Feb. 17.