Big East woes continue for Butler women’s basketball, loses big to DePaul

The Butler women’s basketball team prepares to defend the opposing team. Photo via Collegian archives.

COLLIN PERRY l SPORTS REPORTER l ccperry@butler.edu

Butler University women’s basketball ran into one of the best teams in the country on Feb. 12 as No. 16 DePaul University forced turnovers, hit threes and caused havoc on their defensive end, leading to a 92-62 win for the Blue Demons.

After the Bulldogs held an early 14-8 lead in the opening minutes, things began to fall apart.

The Bulldogs were lead by sophomore Sydney Shelton early. Shelton knocked down a pair of early three-pointers to give Butler an early lead.

The Blue Demons responded quickly, outscoring Butler 19-2 to finish the first quarter. DePaul followed that up by outscoring Butler by 11 in the second quarter, getting help from nine three-pointers in the first half. DePaul lead at the half 47-25.

Butler got within 15 points midway through the third quarter with the help of three buckets underneath from sophomore Tori Schickel. Schickel scored seven points in the quarter. Once again, DePaul ended the quarter on a run and led Butler by 23 after three quarters.

DePaul dominated nearly every aspect of the game. The Blue Demons forced 28 turnovers, outscored the Bulldogs 28-11 off of turnovers and 39-24 off of three-pointers.

The Blue Demons finished the game with three players in double-digit scoring. They were led by senior Brooke Schulte with 23 points and 11 rebounds. Next were junior Amarah Coleman and freshman Chante Stonewall with 18 and 15 points, respectively.

Shelton led the Bulldogs in scoring with a season-high 23 points. Michelle Weaver also contributed in the scoring column with 12 points. Schickel finished just shy of a double-double, scoring nine points with nine rebounds.

Butler women’s basketball is now 5-20 on the season and 2-12 in the Big East. They are on the road next weekend, traveling to Georgetown University on Feb. 17 and Villanova University on Feb. 19.