Cold-shooting Bulldogs lose to Green Bay

CLAIRE JACOBI | STAFF REPORTER

Photos by Jimmy Lafakis

The Butler Women’s Basketball team lost 55-46 against visiting Green Bay on Wednesday, but Brittany Ward wasn’t going down without a fight.

The freshman forward scored a career high of 19 points against the Phoenix. Ward was 10-for-11 at the free throw line.

The Bulldogs struggled offensively in the first half, shooting 7-for-26 from the field. They also had 24 turnovers, which resulted in 22 points for the Phoenix.

“Defense is always important every night, not just because the offense isn’t clicking,” Ward said. “Shots didn’t fall, it’s okay, we just have to come back next game ready and just keep playing defense.”

Green Bay outscored Butler 23-16 in the fourth quarter to secure the win. A Blaire Langlois three-pointer brought the Bulldogs within one to start the quarter, but back-to-back threes from Green Bay’s Jessica Lindstrom extended their lead. Langlois finished with 11 points for the Bulldogs.

Blaire Langlois has 11 points for the Bulldogs in their 55-46 loss to Green Bay on Wednesday. (Photo by Jimmy Lafakis)

Senior Blaire Langlois had 11 points for the Bulldogs in their 55-46 loss to Green Bay on Wednesday. (Photo by Jimmy Lafakis)

Senior Belle Obert had an major impact on the defensive end with a team high nine rebounds and seven blocks.

“Our defense was huge because we had to come in and we had to take things away,” Coach Kurt Godlevske said. “Green Bay has a very talented veteran group that has NCAA (tournament) experience. I thought our kids took what we worked on and applied it and did a phenomenal job.”

The Bulldogs will take on 2015 NCAA tournament participant Arkansas at Hinkle Fieldhouse on Sunday.

“We have got to continue to grow,” Godlevske said. “Our freshmen have got to continue to get better. We keep on having little mental mistakes at crucial times in the game which end up hurting us and we have got to continue to grow and eliminate those.”