Four women’s soccer players receive All-Big East accolades

MAX GABOVITCH | CO-SPORTS EDITOR

The Big East Conference announced Tuesday that four Butler Women’s Soccer players have earned All-conference honors.

Midfielders Sophia Maccagnone and Serina Kashimoto were named to the All-Big East First Team, while forwards Halle Stelbasky and Paige Monaghan were awarded All-Freshman Team recognition. The recognitions were made based on a vote by the conference’s head coaches.

Maccagnone is just the second player in program history to be named First Team All-Conference in each of her four seasons. She was a First Team All-Atlantic 10 selection as a freshman before receiving the same recognition in the Big East for three consecutive years.

The senior is the Butler career leader in shots, and ranks third in career assists (24), fourth in points (90) and fifth in goals (33). She had seven goals and four assists this season.

Kashimoto earns First Team honors for the second consecutive year, connecting on five goals this season and tying for the team lead with five assists. The junior received Second Team All-Big East honors as a freshman.

Stelbasky led the team in points (21) as a freshman this season with nine goals and three assists. She played in all 20 games, starting 18 of those contests. Monaghan had three goals and three assists during her freshman campaign to rank fourth on the team with nine points.

The honors were announced on Tuesday afternoon, just hours before Butler defeated Marquette 1-0 in the quarterfinals of the Big East Conference Tournament. The Bulldogs are now 14-6-1 and have the second most single-season wins in program history, just one win shy of the record-holding 2002 team.

The team now heads to Omaha to take on top-seeded St. John’s in the conference tournament semifinals on Friday evening.