Butler vs. Seton Hall Game Notes

The Butler men’s basketball team looks to win its fourth game in five tries when it hosts the Seton Hall Pirates Sunday at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Tip off is set for 3:00 on FOX Sports Net.

Tale of the Tape

Butler (14-6 overall, 4-3 Big East)

• The Bulldogs are coming into Sunday’s game feeling a little relieved after surviving a scare from last place Creighton on Wednesday, but the Bulldogs will have their hands full with the Pirates.
  • Junior Kellen Dunham had a season-low seven points in the 64-61 Bluejays, the first time all season he did not reach double figures.
  • The Bulldogs play four of their next five games at home. The Bulldogs are 9-1 inside Hinkle Fieldhouse this season

Seton Hall (13-5, 3-3)

• The Pirates have lost two straight and three of their last four heading into Sunday, fresh off a 64-60 home loss against the upstart DePaul Blue Demons
  • Seton Hall is currently ranked No. 24 in the AP Top 25 Poll, but will likely drop out after the loss to DePaul, regardless of what happens Sunday. The Pirates have been ranked as high as No. 19 this season, garnering that rank after beating then unbeaten Villanova.
  • Freshman standout Isaiah Whitehead has been out since late December with a stress fracture, but the Pirates managed to beat ranked Villanova and St. John’s in back-to-back games during that stretch

Familiar foes

Sunday’s meeting will be the fifth all-time meeting between the two schools, all of which have happened in the last 10 months. It will also be the second meeting in 12 days. Butler holds a 3-1 record against the Pirates, with the only loss coming in last season’s Big East Tournament when the Pirates came away with a 51-50 win to end Butler’s season.

Big East log jam

Just two games separate the top seven teams in the Big East Standings. A win Sunday would put Butler at 5-3 in the conference and one game behind first place Georgetown, a team that Butler is 1-1 against this season, with one more matchup at Hinkle Fieldhouse looming before the end of the season.

One of the teams making things so interesting is DePaul. Picked to finish dead last in preseason polls, the Blue Demons sit at 5-3 in the conference, with an 11-10 overall record. The Blue Demons got off to a 6-1 start before dropping six straight to end non-conference play.