‘Tis the season

HALEY BAAS | STAFF REPORTER

Holiday traditions of all kinds have started popping up on Butler University’s campus.

Whether it is seeing “The Nutcracker” at Clowes Memorial Hall, attending a Hanukkah party with Butler Hillel, the on-campus Jewish organization, or seeing Out of the Dawg House sing Christmas tunes, there are many different options for holiday cheer this season.

As the weather gets colder, one of the most popular events on campus is Butler Ballet’s production of “The Nutcracker.” This production attracts all ages, from Butler students to residents of surrounding areas. It has been a tradition on campus for years.

The Nutcracker follows the tale of Clara, a young girl, on Christmas Eve. She receives a nutcracker from her toymaker uncle. This nutcracker comes to life and takes her on a journey to a magical land where a number of different groups perform for her. All this is done after vanquishing an evil mouse queen.

This year, each performance came close to selling out entirely.

During the final matinee performance, only single-seat tickets were available for purchase 20 minutes before the show started.

If ballet doesn’t pique your interest, Butler provides an array of vocal events to attend this season.

The on-campus men’s a capella group, Out of the Dawg House, hosts its annual holiday concert in December.

The Butler Choirs hold Rejoice! which features everything from traditional Christmas songs to pieces from the Baroque era.

During the Rejoice! holiday concert you can sing along to some classic Christmas carols as well as hearing the sweet sounds of the Butler Symphony Orchestra and the Butler Choral Ensembles.

If Christmas celebrations are not your cup of tea, there is more for you than the Peppermint Mochas  at Starbucks.

Hillel also holds has an annual Chanukah Party in honor of the Jewish holiday.

Chanukah commemorates the rededication of the Jewish temple over the course of eight days. This year, the party was held with Ball State University’s chapter of Hillel.

There are also other, more casual holiday-related events on Butler’s campus.

The sounds of “Dominick the Donkey” can often be heard wafting across campus during the holiday season. This song has become a holiday tradition for years. Though it may annoy some, Butler students look for the sounds of the song to mark the beginning of the holidays.

With all of these events happening around campus, it is possible for anyone looking to get in the holiday spirit to achieve just that.

So do not let the finals get you down. No one likes a grinch, and Butler is the perfect place to lock into your holiday spirit.