Butler competes at regional match

KELLY MURPHY | STAFF REPORTER

This week, while Butler students will be enjoying their fall break, the men’s tennis team will compete at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regionals.

Vanderbilt University, in Nashville, Tennessee, will host the tournament.

Butler will compete in the Ohio Valley division against the highest-ranked team University of Kentucky, which was most recently ranked 12th in the nation.

Senior Tommy Marx said he moves into his final fall regionals with a positive mindset.

“If I had an overarching goal that wasn’t wins-and-losses based, it would be to keep working on the things I know I need to,” Marx said, “ As a team, just keep trying to improve to be the best you can be when it really matters. Which is in the spring.”

Butler will compete against 21 other teams in this regional tournament.

Belmont University, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Purdue University and Xavier University have all competed against Butler in previous invites and will be competing against it once again this coming weekend.

Marx was the top performer at Butler’s last invitational, the Purdue Invitational, reaching the championship round of his bracket. He said he will look to have another strong performance at regionals.

“My best showing at regionals was, I think, winning two rounds,” Marx said. “So it would be great to go in there and do better than that.”

This will be one of the team’s final tournaments before it begins to focus on its spring season.

“Overall, it is just another thing where the goal in the fall is to get better for the spring,” Marx said.