Indiana basketball icon Damon Bailey named to women’s coaching staff

Indiana basketball icon Damon Bailey joined the Butler women’s basketball program today as an assistant coach, according to head coach Kurt Godlevske.

“I am truly excited to welcome Damon Bailey to the Bulldog family,” Godlevske said in a statement. “He is a great friend, a great coach and an even better person. Our vision for the direction of this program is similar, which makes him a natural fit to the staff. Damon is a basketball icon and I am thrilled to have him as a part of our basketball family!”

Bailey comes to Butler from Bedford Lawrence North, where he led the girls’ team to a Class 4A state title this season.

Bailey worked under Godlevske as an assistant coach for four seasons at Bedford Lawrence North before Godlevske came to Butler. After Godlevske’s departure, Bailey assumed head coaching responsibilities.

Bailey’s basketball career is well documented, especially among those familiar with Indiana basketball history. He won Mr. Basketball honors in 1990 as a senior at Bedford Lawrence North while also being named a McDonald’s All-American and National Player of the Year in that same season.

Bailey went on to start for four years at Indiana University under Bob Knight. He was named Big 10 Freshman of the Year in 1991 and was named an AP All-American 1994.

Bailey was drafted in the second round by the Indiana Pacers in 1994.