Women’s soccer snaps three-match losing streak

BRENDAN KING | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler women’s soccer team snapped a three-match losing streak Sunday, with a 2-1 overtime victory over St. John’s.

It was Butler’s first victory in the Big East Conference. The Bulldogs improved their record to 8-4-2 with the win,  and 1-3-0 in the Big East.

The game started with a bang, with both teams getting shots in the first minute.

Butler junior forward Elise Kotsakis had a scoring chance go wide right of the net. Moments later, the first Red Storm (7-3-2, 1-2-1) shot went off the post.

Late in the first half, Butler sophomore midfielder Sophie Maccagnone had a chance to score of a free kick, but it sailed right over the net.

The second half started quickly as well. A red card was issued to St. John’s in the first minute, and Maccagnone was given—and missed—another free kick.

Maccagnone’s effort finally paid off in the 70th minute, when she scored a goal right in front of the net to put the Bulldogs ahead 1-0.

St. John’s wouldn’t let Butler put this one away in regulation, however.

In the 87th minute, St. John’s senior forward Amy Marron scored on a header that rolled past Butler sophomore goalkeeper Mackenzie Hopkins.

The teams entered overtime tied at one. Two minutes into the extra period, Kotsakis scored her fifth goal of the season, giving Butler the win.

The win was Hopkins’ first victory of the season in net.

On Thursday, Butler suffered its fourth loss of the season against the Georgetown Hoyas. The Hoyas (11-0-2, 3-0-1) shut out the Bulldogs 3-0.

Butler’s next game is against Providence at home on Oct. 12.