Bulldog run game shines against Stetson

ADAM WINAY | STAFF REPORTER

Butler football is 4-2 (2-0) at the halfway point of its Pioneer Football League season after defeating Stetson 35-15 Saturday.

For the second time in two weeks, the Bulldogs found their spark in the second half of the game.

“There’s no question that we need to look at some things to play better off the start,” coach Jeff Voris said. “We do a good job adjusting throughout the game. I think the coaches do a great job, and the players get a comfort level as they go.”

The Butler running game led the team to victory with a total of 240 rushing yards.

Butler senior running back Trae Heeter led the team with 118 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Sophomore running back Rico Watson had 71 rushing yards and one touchdown.

Heeter is currently ranked first in rushing in the PFL with 629 total rushing yards.

Butler senior quarterback Matt Lancaster threw for season lows in passing yards and completion percentage. Lancaster’s completion percentage was 51.7 percent and he threw for 133 yards with one touchdown and one interception.

For the first time this season, the Bulldogs’ defense held the opponent’s offense to less than 300 yards. Stetson had 262 total yards.

Butler has the worst pass defense in the PFL, allowing 317.7 passing yards per game. But against Stetson, the Bulldogs allowed only 113 passing yards.

“I feel like with Stetson we eliminated the big plays, shut down their run and that caused them to pass a little bit more,” junior defensive lineman Bret Shannon said. “We didn’t really let those big passes up.”

The Bulldogs defense recorded two safeties and four takeaways.

Saturday marks Butler’s homecoming game against Campbell. Last year, Butler defeated Campbell 35-14.

Voris said the game against Stetson helped the team further adjust to PFL play, and Campbell’s style of play is similar to Stetson’s.

“We’re going to get [that style of play] this week, that’s for sure” Voris said. “They’re going to play different personnel groupings and use formations to try and get an advantage. It’s probably good to get it back to back weeks.”

The Camels are currently 1-4 (0-2), but have the fourth best scoring offense per game in the PFL.

The Homecoming game will kick off at 1 p.m.