Men’s soccer: No. 16 Bulldogs fall at Evansville

CLAYTON YOUNG | STAFF REPORTER

Coming off a big win at home against Villanova, the Butler men’s soccer team (7-2-1) looked to continue its winning ways with a road match at Evansville (6-2-1).

The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead with a header goal by junior defenseman Jesse Miser in the 28th minute of the match.

Evansville sophomore forward Nate Opperman tied the match up with a goal in the 41st minute.

Sophomore midfielder Mark Gonzalez gave the Purple Aces the lead with goal in the 72nd minute.

Junior forward Dylan Terry added another goal for Evansville in the 79th minute to seal the 3-1 win for the Purple Aces.

Sophomore forward Jeff Adkins added five shots for Butler, three of which were on goal.

Senior goalkeeper Jon Dawson ended the match with six saves, bringing his season total to 39 saves.

The loss snaps a three-match win streak for the Bulldogs.

Butler took the driver’s seat in the Big East standings after the win streak that included a win over Indiana University and the school’s first Big East win over Villanova last week.

The team jumped from No. 23 to No. 16 in this week’s NSCAA Coaches Poll.

The Bulldogs came back in the second half from two goals down and defeated the Hoosiers (4-4-1) with an overtime goal by freshman forward David Goldsmith last Wednesday.

On Saturday, the Bulldogs claimed their first Big East Conference win of the season against Villanova (3-4-1).

Sophomore forward Zach Steinberger netted the first goal of the match in the 21st minute off a pass from Goldsmith.

The Wildcats tied it when freshman forward Padraic McCullaugh scored off a header in the 33rd minute.

Steinberger broke the tie in the 72nd minute with a header into the right side of the net for his second goal of the game, giving the Bulldogs the 2-1 win.

The performances by Goldsmith and Steinberger caught the attention of the Big East.

Goldsmith was named Big East Rookie of the Week for the second time, and Steinberger was named Big East Offensive Player of the Week.

Goldsmith’s seven goals have him tied for 7th in goals among Division I players. He also leads the Big East in goals.

Dawson also gave the Bulldogs strong performances in both matches. He has a season record of 6-2-1.

Dawson is currently third in saves in the Big East and fifth in save percentage.

The Bulldogs rank 13th in the NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer RPI rankings.

The Bulldogs will return home for a conference match against DePaul Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Butler Bowl.