Butler to host preseason scrimmage

ARI KASLE | STAFF REPORTER

Butler Bulldog fans will get a sneak peek at this year’s men’s basketball team this month.

The team is holding a Blue vs. White scrimmage that is open to the public on Oct. 25 at 8 p.m. at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Fox Sports 1 organized the event. Each of the 10 Big East teams will hold simultaneous scrimmage games, which will be broadcast on national television through the network.

The event will feature Butler players facing each other in a practice game. Butler cheerleaders will also be performing, and there will be an autograph session after the game.

Joe Gentry, director of sports marketing, said people can consider the event as the official start of Butler basketball in the Big East.

“We’re excited to tip off our first season in the Big East with this event,” Gentry said. “It’s great that we can give our fans their first opportunity to see our 2013-2014 team and to get autographs afterwards.”

Butler fans will have the chance to see six freshmen in action. Possibly the most anticipated debut, though, will be that of new head coach, Brandon Miller.

“It’s a great event,” Miller said, “not only for the Butler fans but for the entire Big East. Everyone is excited for this season to start, and this is a great way to kick it off.”

Both the players and coaches are encouraging fans and the Dawg Pound to show up in numbers. The coaches are hoping the event is similar to an in-game atmosphere.

“We want the freshmen to get a feeling for what it’s going to be like in Hinkle this season. Lots of energy,” Miller said.

Junior point guard Alex Barlow said he is also excited to play in front of a crowd for the first time this year.

“It’s going to be fun,” Barlow said. “It’s exciting for us players too. Getting to play in front of fans with the Dawg Pound going wild for the first time this year. We’re all excited.”

The show will air on Fox Sports 1 at 9 p.m.