Butler splits weekend matches

JOHN YELEY | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler volleyball team improved to  13-3 on Saturday, sweeping the Division III Marian Knights in three straight sets (25-6, 25-12, 25-13) at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

The local showdown allowed the squad to end the weekend on a positive note after losing its Big East debut against Xavier Friday.

Junior middle blocker Belle Obert led the charge for the Bulldogs’ attack with a team-high 13 kills.

Redshirt freshman Natalie Wichern excelled as well in the setter role, chalking up seven kills of her own in addition to 26 assists.

On Friday night, Butler battled the Xavier Musketeers in the Bulldogs’ first Big East action over four close sets.

After rallying to win the second set, the Bulldogs were ultimately defeated 3-1 (23-25, 25-21, 20-25, 24-26).

Bulldogs senior setter Morgan Peterson recorded 41 assists and 12 digs for her sixth double-double of the season.

The Bulldogs will look to fare better in their second round of Big East action this weekend.

Butler has a three-game home stand beginning with Creighton Friday night at 7 p.m.

The Bluejays come into the match at 9-3. This is their first Big East affair.

The Bulldogs play host to the St. John’s Red Storm Saturday at 4 p.m. St. John’s has a 12-5 overall record and are 1-0 in the Big East.

The weekend wraps up Sunday at 3 p.m. against Seton Hall. The Pirates are 5-7 overall and 0-1 in the Big East.