Football: Bulldogs fall short to Dartmouth

ADAM WINAY | STAFF REPORTER

The Butler football team is 2-2 going into Pioneer Football League play after losing to Dartmouth, 30-23 last weekend.

Butler will travel to Jacksonville University this Saturday for the PFL opener.

Butler’s defense struggled in all four non-conference games, giving up an average of 460.75 yards per game.

The Bulldogs gave up 497 total yards to Dartmouth. Butler allowed 259 passing yards and 238 rushing yards.

The Bulldogs struggled in the first half against Dartmouth. The Big Green scored on three of six possessions. Butler only scored on two out of six possessions.

At halftime the Bulldogs were down 21-10, but they came back strong in the second half to only lose by seven.

“We learned that we have to continue to push toward playing 60 minutes,” coach Jeff Voris said. “We didn’t start well enough. We played with great effort and passion as the game went on, but we have to kick it off that way.”

The Bulldogs brought pressure to Dartmouth sophomore quarterback Dalyn Williams, but he was still  able to break out and run. Williams threw for 228 yards and rushed for 119 yards.

“He’s a great player, first and foremost,” Voris said. “They have a great scheme, but he made some plays on his own that made some guys miss.”

“He’s a tremendous athlete and played well within their scheme.”

While Butler’s defense struggled against Dartmouth, the offense still continued its early-season success.

Butler redshirt senior quarterback Matt Lancaster threw for 395 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.

Butler junior wide receiver J.T. Mesch and senior wide receiver Brendan Shannon had big games. Mesch had 112 receiving yards and Shannon  100.

Butler senior running back Trae Heeter ran for 74 yards on 14 attempts.

Going into league play will be more difficult for the Bulldogs and they will start off against tough competition.

Jacksonville’s offense is averaging 492.25 yards per game.

Butler faced Jacksonville last year and won 19-16.

Butler will face the Dolphins at noon in Jacksonville on Saturday.