New faces look to lead men’s soccer

BY CLAYTON YOUNG | STAFF SPORTS REPORTER

A new conference brings major changes for the Butler men’s soccer team. The Bulldogs, coming off a 5-8-5 season last year, face new talent and teams on their journey to a Big East title.

In coach Paul Snape’s third season at Butler, the Bulldogs will return 12 starters of 10 games or more from last season and add three transfer students and five freshmen.

“Some players are going to help now, and some players are going to help us in the next few years,” Snape said. “But overall, we’re very pleased with the class.”

Sophomore midfielder Vincent Mitchell transferred from Concordia College (Ala.). He is eligible to play in the 2013-2014 season.

Transfers Michael Kozielek and DJ Schillinger are not eligible this season and must sit out one year due to NCAA rules.

Kozielek is a sophomore midfielder formerly from DePaul, where he started 17 matches and was named Freshman Player of the Year by his teammates.

Schillinger is a junior midfielder formerly from Marquette. Prior to college, Schillinger played for the Indiana Olympic Development Program.

David Goldsmith and Anthony Smith Jr. are major standouts of Butler’s incoming freshmen.

Goldsmith is a forward from Bristol, England, and played for West Bromwich Albion F.C. Academy for five years. Although Goldsmith is away from home, he said he’s up for the challenge of playing in the Big East.

“The fact that Butler is so far from home means I need to make it feel like my new home,” Goldsmith said.

Smith is a forward from Country Club Hills, Ill., and spent the last two years playing for the Chicago Fire Development Academy.

The Bulldogs begin their season Friday with a 7 p.m. match at the Butler Bowl.