Men’s basketball: Brown officially signs

Elijah Brown, a Mater Dei High School (Santa Ana, Calif.) senior, signed a letter of intent last Wednesday to play men’s basketball at Butler.

Brown previously gave his verbal commitment to Butler in January.

The 6-foot-4-inch shooting guard averaged 17.3 points per game this season for Mater Dei while leading the team to its second consecutive California state championship.

“I’m really excited to officially welcome Elijah to the Butler basketball family,” coach Brad Stevens said in a statement released by the Butler athletics department. “Elijah is another great example of the type of student-athlete we like to attract to Butler.

He is a very versatile guard who can do a number of different things, including score the basketball in a variety of ways.”

Mater Dei went 34-2 in each of the past two seasons with Brown on the roster, with each season concluding with a state title.

“Anytime you recruit a young man who has two state championships and has played in those environments and under that kind of spotlight, that certainly adds to his ability to handle those types of experiences once he gets here,” Stevens said.

Brown is a highly-touted recruit who appeared on Rivals.com’s rankings of the top-150 recruits in the country. The Los Angeles Times also selected Brown to its 10-player All-Area Team.

The guard spent the first two seasons of his high school career with St. Edward High School in Lakewood, Ohio.

“I’ve been dreaming of playing Division I basketball since I was a kid,” Brown said in a press release. “Ever since Butler started showing interest in me and coach Stevens started coming to my games, I knew I wanted to consider going to Butler very seriously.

“Now that my dream is a reality, it’s the best thing for me. I can’t wait to get started at Butler and win some games.”

Brown is the son of Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown.

It has been reported by various new outlets that Brown will coach the Cavaliers next season.