Football: Team clinches share of PFL title

Butler will play for sole possession of the Pioneer Football League title on Saturday in Des Moines.

The title, which Butler already owns a share of is the Bulldogs’ first since 2009, marking a big turnaround over the past two seasons.

Redshirt junior quarterback Matt Lancaster’s outstretched arms were the difference-maker Saturday as Butler completed a 19-16 come-from-behind win over Jacksonville.

The victory, Butler’s first ever against Jacksonville, kept the Bulldogs (8-2, 7-0) undefeated in PFL play and secured them at least a share of the conference title.

“All three phases had their points in the game where they made key stops or stands or plays to get us to that point with the touchdown late,” Butler coach Jeff Voris said.

“It was a great team win and one that we need all hands on deck and a full 60 minutes to get it done.”

Lancaster’s final score capped a 95-yard drive and kept the Bulldogs’ perfect league season alive.

“It was wild,” Lancaster said. “We’ve had that the last couple games, and it just shows how much heart that we have as an offense and as a team.”

Lancaster finished with two touchdowns and 260 yards through the air.

The game marked the last home game for seven seniors, including co-captain and linebacker Jordan Ridley.

“Every senior wants to win on Senior Day, and the fact that we’d never beaten that team is an added bonus,” Ridley said.

The victory is Butler’s seventh straight and second-consecutive comeback win at home.

“This team never quits,”  Ridley said. “They always fight.That’s led to us pulling out a lot of victories that a lot of people wouldn’t think we’d be able to pull out.”