Women’s golf: Team posts two top-three finishes in Florida

A tough second round sank the Butler women’s golf team in the Bulldog Florida Invitational, which was held in Jacksonville on March 14 and 15.

The Bulldogs led the event by four strokes at the end of the first round, and senior Michele Nash had a two-stroke advantage in the individual competition after shooting a one-over par 73 in the opening round.

Butler was overtaken by Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis on the second day, though, and the Greyhounds won by four strokes.

Nash shot an 82 in the second round, tying her for fourth place at the end of the event.

The Bulldogs were led by freshmen Jenna Peters and Isabella Lambert, whose total scores of 151 and 152 gave them second and third-place finishes, respectively.

IUPUI junior Jordan Essman won the tournament with a total score of 150.

On March 12 and 13, Butler took part in the Benbow Invitational in Jacksonville. Following a tough opening round, the Bulldogs posted the second-lowest team score in the second round to capture third place in the 14-team field.

In the first round, none of Butler’s golfers posted a score lower than a nine-above par 81. The second round saw a complete turnaround for the Bulldogs, as four of their five scoring golfers had scores of 79 or lower.

Nash led the charge, shooting a 73 in the second round to finish in fifth place. Peters and Lambert finished tied for 11th place and 15th place, respectively.

A three-team contest featuring Butler, Evansville and Cleveland State on March 10 was cancelled.

Like their male counterparts, the Bulldogs will head home to host the Butler Spring Invitational in Avon on March 26 and 27.