Women’s tennis: Team grabs first victory

The Butler women’s tennis team was busy over the weekend, defeating Dayton on the road Saturday after falling to Eastern Kentucky at home the day before.

The Bulldogs (1-3) picked up their first victory of the season with a 6-1 win over the Flyers (0-4).

Five of Butler’s six singles competitors won their respective matches in straight sets. Leading the way was sophomore Caroline Hedrick, who defeated Dayton sophomore Claire McNulty 6-1, 6-0 in No. 1 singles action.

The Bulldogs also received victories from sophomore Stephanie McLoughlin (No. 2), senior Cam Thompson (No. 4), sophomore Laura Shull (No. 5) and sophomore Angelina Qin (No. 6) in singles play.

Photo by Rachel Anderson

Butler was also victorious in No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.

The squad’s match on Friday against Eastern Kentucky saw a different result, as the Bulldogs dropped a 7-0 decision to the Colonels (3-0).

The only Bulldog not to lose in straight sets was Thompson, who lost 6-4, 5-7 (1-0).

“[Thompson] has that ability when she is determined,” coach Jason Suscha said. “It was a really fun match to watch.”

Qin and senior Ashley Breitenbach were the only Bulldogs to pick up a win on the day, taking their No. 3 doubles match 8-6. It was the first time the two were paired together this season.

Against both Eastern Kentucky and Dayton, junior Brittany Farmer was forced out of action due to illness.

“That cost us a bit with Eastern Kentucky,” Suscha said. “They are a quality team with nice athletes.”

Butler will be back in action Saturday when the team travels to the University of Indianapolis at 5 p.m.