Women’s basketball: Squad wins third straight contest

The Butler women’s basketball team got back on track after a six-game losing streak early in the season.

The Bulldogs (10-12, 6-5) came out of an Ohio road trip with two more Horizon League victories after topping Cleveland State and Youngstown State.

Against the Penguins (10-12, 4-7) of Youngstown State on Saturday, a 3-point basket from sophomore guard Mandy McDivitt with 2.3 seconds remaining pushed Butler to a 65-63 win.

Youngstown State was facing a double-digit deficit with 14 minutes to go in the second half.

The Penguins spent nearly all of that 14 minutes battling back, taking a 63-62 lead with 28.7 seconds left in the game.

That set the stage for McDivitt, who came off the bench, to hit her sixth 3-pointer of the contest and seal the win for the Bulldogs.

Butler hit 12 3-point baskets against Youngstown State, besting a previous season-high of eight in one game.

On Thursday, the Bulldogs claimed a 68-62 win over a struggling Cleveland State squad.

Despite receiving double-digit points from three players, the Vikings (8-14, 3-8) could not topple the Bulldogs.

Sophomore guard Jenna Cobb tallied a team-high 21 points for Butler and sophomore center Sarah Hamm posted a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Leading 30-26 at halftime, the Bulldogs went on a 10-2 run in the first four minutes of the second half.

Cleveland State eventually closed the deficit to single digits, but Butler managed to hold the lead and grab the win.

Butler faces in-state and in-conference rival Valparaiso (6-16, 2-9) at home this Saturday at 2 p.m.