Track and field: Women break four Butler marks

While the Blue and Gold Meet at Notre Dame was not scored, the school records set by members of the Butler track and field team on Friday are officially in the books.

Three Bulldogs came away from the season-opening event with four Butler records in their respective events.

Perhaps the least surprising of these new marks came from junior Kirsty Legg, who, prior to the meet, held the school record in the 3,000-meter run.

Legg shattered her previous record of 9:30.07 by finishing the event in a time of 9:19.60.

Kirsty Legg

The time allowed her to claim victory in the event. She finished nearly eight seconds ahead of Butler junior Katie Clark, whose runner-up time of 9:27.09 was also fast enough to break Legg’s old record.

Two Bulldog freshmen, Nicole Hudec and Kelly Davidson, opened their collegiate track and field careers by setting school records in the meet.
Hudec made her presence felt by setting new marks for two Butler records.

Hudec posted a mark of 36-1 in the triple jump, breaking the previous record of 34-5/100 set in 1998. The showing earned her a second-place finish in the event.

“I’ve been training really hard all fall, and my training paid off,” Hudec said. “I ended up doing really well and broke the school record.”

Hudec also recorded the best long jump in Butler history with a jump of 17-5, topping the mark of 16-10 3/4 held by two individuals.

The leap was good for fourth place in the event.

Davidson also brought the spotlight to the Lady Bulldog sprinters with her record-setting performance in the 200-meter dash.

Her time of 26.17 seconds beat the mark of 26.64 seconds set in 1998 and brought her an 11th-place finish in the contest.

“We’ve definitely been training hard all fall,” Davidson said. “All of those hills and reps we had to do definitely helped me accomplish [the record].”

Other strong showings came from freshman Mara Olson, who was victorious in the 800-meter run, and junior Lauren McKillop, who made her way to a runner-up finish in the one-mile run.

On the men’s side, Butler received a runner-up performance from sophomore Craig Jordan in the 3,000-meter run and a third-place finish from senior Madison Roeder in the same event.

Sophomore Alex Berry also had a top-five finish by placing fourth in the 400-meter dash.

The Bulldogs will head to the Eastern Illinois Early Bird meet on Dec. 9 to continue their indoor season.

In the same meet last season, the Butler men had nine top 10 finishes.

The meet will be unscored.