Family Matters (So show them a good time on Parents Weekend)

It’s time for parents’ weekend at Butler University, and the Butler Collegian wants to make their visit as enjoyable and action-packed as possible. While campus is offering a football game and some activities for little brothers & sisters, we wanted to include our favorite Indy locations for freshman parents new to the city or the old-pro senior parents who want to make the most of their last weekend.

PLACES TO TAKE
YOUR LITTLE SIBLINGS

INDIANAPOLIS ZOO

It may be a bit chilly but it’s not cold enough to miss an opportunity to see the dolphins, tigers and elephants at the zoo. It’s a great way to get yourself downtown and perhaps even take a quick walk to the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art and the Indiana State Museum while you’re down there to warm up a bit. 1200 W. Washington St.

THE CHILDREN’S MUSEUM
No one entertaining a child in Indianapolis should pass up a trip to the Children’s Museum— whether she is 2 or 22. Rock climb, dig in the Dinosphere and explore the National Geographic exhibit, “Treasures of the Earth,” which lets you pretend to be an archaeologist for a day. 3000 N. Meridian St.

IMA 100 ACRES
Just like the zoo, time is running out to go out and enjoy the Indianapolis Museum of Art’s latest addition, the 100 Acres. While parents and their college- aged students will enjoy the many different large art sculptures, smaller children will enjoy being able to climb and play around on them. 4000 N. Michigan St.

CIRCLE CENTRE
You, your siblings and parents will all enjoy shopping in the heart of downtown. See a movie upstairs or go eat at the mall’s newest addition, California Pizza Kitchen. 49 W. Maryland St.

ENJOY AN EARLY BREAKFAST

LE PEEP
Whether your parents are staying downtown, in Carmel or near Castleton mall, Le Peep  offers a warm environment and delicious food. Enjoy one of their packed omelets or blueberry granola pancakes; either is one of the best ways to start your day. 12213 N. Meridian St., Carmel; 8255 Craig St.; 301 N. Illinois St.; 8487 Union Chapel Road.

GOOD MORNING MAMA’S
If your tastes are a bit more exploratory, Good Morning Mama’s is just the place. Mixing normal breakfast items like French toast with Italian specialties such as omelets with bruschetta tomato sauce, the sister restaurant to Mama Carolla’s offers a pleasantly interesting breakfast arrangement. 1001 E. 54th St.

THREE SISTERS CAFE
Vegetarians and meat-eaters will love this for an early morning meal. Build your own omelet with options like eggplant, Gorgonzola and squash. Or, try the lemon corncakes with berries, featured on a little show called “Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives.” 6360 Guilford Ave.

HAVE A NICE DINNER AND A COLD DESSERT

HUDDLES
Get some frozen yogurt and buy a Colts shirt while you’re at it. Huddles Frozen Yogurt has all the best seasonal options for those in the mood—such as pumpkin and pumpkin cheesecake—along with favorites such as original tart, cake batter and red velvet. They carry a full lineup of Colts apparel in the front, so don’t be a fair weather fan and grab a jersey—it could end up being a good luck charm. 110 W. Main St., Carmel; 1356 E. 86th St.

BRICS
There is ice cream, there are personal s’mores and, for the holidays, there are even apple cider floats. BRICS offers it all, and they happen to like Butler students a lot—you might recognize one of the owners, Nonie Vonnegut-Gabovitch, the English department’s administrative assistant. 901 E. 64th St.

SCOTTY’S
If there were such things as food empires, Scotty would be the one to own it. What’s good news for those traveling in for the weekend, however, is that at any Scotty brand you go to—Scotty’s Brewhouse (north and downtown), Scotty’s Lakehouse (a burger joint in Fishers) or Thr3e Wisemen Brewing Co. (pizza and beer in Broad Ripple)—you’re sure to get quality food, entertaining staff and usually a great place to catch the game—whichever one it may be. Brewhouse: 3905 E. 96th St., 1 Virginia Ave. Lakehouse: 10158 Brooks School Road. Thr3e Wisemen: 1021 Broad Ripple Ave.

BINKLEY’S
Quite the quintessential dinner joint for Butler families, Binkley’s is family-friendly with a great beer list for dad, a great variety of food for everyone and even chicken fingers and burgers for the small ones who may not enjoy Creole linguini or chicken montes. 5902 N. College Ave.