Fantasy football: The kids are alright

As an Indianapolis Colts fan, it was brutal to watch even one millisecond of the game on Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints.

However, from a fantasy perspective, I was giddy, as some of the Saints put up monster numbers against my favorite team.

In week seven, there were many quarterback changes that resulted in anemic point totals for some quality players. These situations make the waiver wire that much more intriguing for finding quality help.

Quarterback Tim Tebow looked awful for the first 55 minutes of the Denver Broncos’ game against the Miami Dolphins. He looked unstoppable in the last five.

With Tebow, you never know what you are going to get, aside from solid rushing totals. The rushing yardage makes a world of difference, and Tebow can be a borderline starter in the shallowest of leagues because of it.

Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson is struggling more right now than most Butler students are following Homecoming weekend.  Johnson has a single 100-yard game this season.

This week, Johnson squares off against the match up-friendly Colts. If Johnson doesn’t break the century mark this week, feel free to cut all ties with this first-round bust.

With Minnesota Vikings rookie QB Christian Ponder earning his first career start on Sunday versus the Green Bay Packers, running back Adrian Peterson looked absolutely unstoppable, rushing for 175 yards.

More surprising was the emergence of Michael Jenkins as Ponder’s favorite target. Jenkins’ stat line was three catches for 111 yards and a touchdown. Ponder is fully utilizing Jenkins’ height, making him fantasy-relevant again.

Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray ran wild, rushing 25 times for 253 yards and a touchdown. I try not to put too much stock in one game, but Murray seems like the real deal and has a favorable match up against the Philadelphia Eagles this week.

With another strong performance, Murray could be included in a Maurice Sendak picture book.

Lastly, the injury bug bit multiple marquee-name players this week. Monitor Darren McFadden, Beanie Wells, Tim Hightower, Earnest Graham, Marshawn Lynch and Peyton Hillis.