Lynch returns to Butler

Bill Lynch is back at Butler University.

Lynch, who was a guard on the Butler basketball team and quarterback on the Butler football team in the 1970’s, was recently hired by Butler Athletics as the new associate athletic director for development.

In his new position, Lynch will lead the efforts of the athletics’ development office and will work closely with Butler Director of Athletics Barry Collier on strategy and raising funds to develop the department’s needs.

“I’m extremely excited about this opportunity,” Lynch said. “It was just the right fit at the right time for me.

“Obviously, there are things I will have to learn, but I understand the importance of organization and building relationships, and I won’t have any trouble selling Butler University.”

Collier said that he is thrilled to have Lynch returning to Butler.

“[Lynch] brings a wide range of experience, deep relationships and the highest level of integrity,” he said. “He is the perfect fit for this position and will contribute greatly to the success of Butler University.”

Lynch has been a member of the Indiana Football Hall of Fame, as both a player and a coach, since 2005. He was a three-time honorable mention All-American quarterback from 1974-76, a three-time Indiana Collegiate Conference Player of the Year and still stands second on Butler’s all-time passing list with 5,909 career yards.

Lynch was also a four-year letterwinner and team captain in basketball.

After his playing days, Lynch served as an assistant football coach for the Bulldogs in three different roles over seven years, before subsequent stints as an assistant at Northern Illinois University and for the United States Football League’s Orlando Renegades. He then returned to Butler as a head coach from 1985-89, before again leaving to fulfill head positions at Ball State, DePauw and Indiana University.