OT: NFL 2024-25 Preview

The 2024-25 NFL season kicks off this weekend with a full slate of matchups. Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

ISAIAH ROACH | STAFF REPORTER | iroach@butler.edu

Overtime, or “OT”, is an opinion column series where the Collegian takes national sports headlines or polarizing topics and gives them a Butler-centric angle

Football fans will break out their jerseys and prepare to tailgate as the 2024-25 NFL season finally begins on Sept. 5. This season the Kansas City Chiefs look to make history and three-peat as kings of the NFL, while a new crop of exciting rookies and existing NFL superstars try to knock them off.

Contenders: The Super Bowl favorites

Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs had a quiet offseason, re-signing defensive lineman Chris Jones while adding speedsters Hollywood Brown and Xavier Worthy to the wide receiver room to improve one of their weaker position groups. Because of these additions and the fact that they retained their main core, they will stay as dominant as last season. Prediction: 14-3.

Detroit Lions: The Lions were the NFL’s surprise team last year, going 12-5 and making it to the NFC Championship game. In the offseason they shored up their defensive line, signing D.J. Reader to improve their interior against the run. They are a well-rounded team with an explosive offense that will set them up for another big year. Prediction: 14-3.

San Francisco 49ers: The reigning NFC champions had a dramatic offseason. Wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk’s holdout for a new contract captivated the offseason until he eventually signed a four-year,  $120 million extension on Aug. 29. Left tackle Trent Williams was also holding out this offseason, before finalizing a new contract on Sept. 3. Despite the holdouts, the 49ers still have one of the most talented teams in the league and the drama will not hinder them. Prediction: 14-3.

Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens have the best roster in the entire league. Their big move in the offseason was signing former Tennessee Titan Derrick Henry and solidifying their running back room. They now have a one-two punch between Henry and quarterback Lamar Jackson. That duo — combined with their amazing offensive line and stout defense — should propel the Ravens not only to have the best record in the NFL but to capture the Super Bowl. Prediction: 15-2 and Super Bowl champions.

First-year psychology major Joseph Ozenne believes that the Ravens have a very talented roster and Lamar Jackson will propel them to greatness.

“I currently think that the Ravens have the best chance of winning the Super Bowl because they have a solid team,” Ozenne said. “And [they have] Lamar Jackson, I think he will carry and lead their team.”

Playoff teams: Good, not great

Green Bay Packers: Quarterback Jordan Love broke out last season, giving Packers fans hope again after Aaron Rodgers was traded to the Jets last year. The team got even better in the offseason when they signed standout running back Josh Jacobs. If Love can prove last season was not a fluke and one of his wide receivers can have a breakout season, the Packers will be a force to be reckoned with. Prediction: 11-6.

Philadelphia Eagles: The Eagles improved drastically this offseason. They won the draft by getting the two best cornerbacks in Cooper DeJean and Quinyon Mitchell and kept every important piece except center Jason Kelce, who retired. Their main free-agent acquisition was game changer Saquon Barkley from the rival New York Giants. Prediction 13-4.

First-year exploratory major Zachary Drzadinski thinks the Eagles retaining their main core of players will propel them to the Super Bowl.

“I think the Eagles [will win the Super Bowl]; they’re looking pretty good,” Drzadinski said. “A lot of things didn’t go their way, but they still have a lot of their internal core that they had last year. If they turn on the engine this year and get hot, they could potentially make a big run and go all the way.”

Cincinnati Bengals: Last season, Cincinnati dealt with a season-ending injury to star quarterback Joe Burrow and still almost made the playoffs at 9-8. The good news is that Burrow is ready to go this season. The unknown is if Ja’Marr Chase will get his contract extension. If Chase gets his well-deserved extension and Burrow stays healthy, then they are a playoff lock. Prediction: 13-4.

Houston Texans: Last year, quarterback C.J. Stroud and the young Texans team took the NFL by storm. Stroud, who won the Rookie of the Year award, has an improved supporting cast with the additions of Stefon Diggs and Joe Mixon. Prediction: 10-7.

Cleveland Browns: The Browns have the talent on offense and defense, but this team is inconsistent. The season will hinge on the play of quarterback Deshaun Watson and the run game in the early weeks. If Watson plays well and the defense is dominant, then they will make the playoffs. Prediction: 11-6.

New York Jets: The Jets are the most unpredictable team in the league this year. It is hard to believe in the Jets without knowing how quarterback Aaron Rodgers will play after coming off an Achilles injury he suffered last season. With all the talent they have on the roster — such as elite cornerback Sauce Gardner, running back Breece Hall and wide receiver Garrett Wilson — New York is set up to be a dark horse Super Bowl contender. Prediction: 11-6.

Buffalo Bills: The Bills had a very up-and-down offseason. They traded wide receiver Stefon Diggs and let wideout Gabe Davis walk in free agency, making their wide receiver room significantly worse. They drafted wide receiver Keon Coleman who will attempt to fill the void that Diggs and Davis left behind. Although this team also lost safety Jordan Poyer and other key players, it is smart to bet on quarterback Josh Allen. Prediction 11-6.

Despite being a Packers fan, first-year biochemistry major Erica Plier went a different direction for her MVP pick.

“I’d like to say Jordan Love but I’m going to go with Josh Allen,” Plier said.

Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys are a good team, but their ceiling is the divisional round of the playoffs. They have no running game and some big questions on both the offensive and defensive line which could pose problems during the season. Ezekiel Elliot and Dalvin Cook are serviceable running backs who will not elevate this offense, so the passing game will need to carry them through the regular season. If the defense steps up, the Cowboys will have a superb regular season but will ultimately fall short in the playoffs. Prediction: 13-4.

Miami Dolphins: The Miami Dolphins are an interesting team; they added Jordan Poyer to a defense that desperately needed help in the secondary. On the offensive side, they have some of the fastest weapons in the league with wide receivers Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle and running backs Devon Achane and Raheem Mostert. No matter how much talent they have, this team will only go as far as quarterback Tua Tagovailoa takes them. If Tagovailoa stays healthy and limits the turnovers, then the Dolphins will be spectacular. Prediction 10-7.

Fringe playoff teams:

Los Angeles Chargers: The Chargers made a massive move in hiring former Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh is an amazing hire, but he has to come up with a way to make up for all the talent lost during the offseason. Los Angeles parted ways with three of their best players over the summer, losing Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler. Prediction: 10-7.

Chicago Bears: Chicago had the most impressive offseason of all. They drafted quarterback Caleb Williams and wide receiver Rome Odunze, signed running back D’Andre Swift, and traded for wide receiver Keenan Allen. They improved the entire roster, but this is not their year to win it. Williams will have growing pains transitioning from college to the NFL, and it will cost the Bears. Prediction: 9-8.

Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons had an active offseason, bringing in quarterback Kirk Cousins, safety Justin Simmons and edge rusher Matt Judon. Pairing this trio with wide receiver Drake London, running back Bijan Robinson, tight end Kyle Pitts and safety Jessie Bates makes this team the favorite in the NFC South. Their run defense and cornerbacks will limit them in the playoffs. Prediction 9-8.

Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks had a quiet offseason, making a few under-the-radar moves by signing linebacker Jerome Baker and center Conner Williams. Seattle also lost five defensive starters from last year making their defense a big question mark. It remains to be seen how the offense will look under new head coach Mike Macdonald. Seattle has the talent, but will this new-look defense be able to execute? Prediction: 10-7.

Teams who missed the mark:

Jacksonville Jaguars: Jacksonville has a lot of impact players like quarterback Trevor Lawerence, running back Travis Etienne and tight end Evan Engram, but between losing a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and a very tough schedule they will fall short of a playoff berth. Prediction: 7-10.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Tampa Bay was able to keep quarterback Baker Mayfield and longtime receiver Mike Evans in the offseason, but failed to improve the offensive line or secondary. Their strength of schedule combined with the Falcons’ outstanding offseason have the Bucs fall short of winning the NFC South and missing the playoffs. Prediction: 8-9.

The rest of the field:

Not everyone can make the playoffs, and while some teams are just a few pieces away from winning it all, others have a long way to go. Teams like the Vikings and Colts have game-changing players such as wide receivers Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison and running back Jonathan Taylor but have too many holes in their rosters to be competitive. The Giants, Commanders, Patriots, Panthers, Broncos, Raiders, Rams and Cardinals have countless young players who are on the verge of superstardom but that takes time. 

Others are stuck in limbo, seemingly having no direction. The Saints, Steelers and Titans are three teams that have phenomenal defensive talent but are very mediocre on offense. While the Saints have young talent such as wide receiver Chris Olave, they have very little cap space due to bad contracts such as Taysom Hill’s four-year $40 million contract. The Steelers are heading in the right direction by developing great talents such as George Pickens, Broderick Jones and Joey Porter Jr in the past few years. Their quarterback situation is very shaky, with Russell Wilson coming off of two lackluster years on the Broncos and Justin Fields still struggling to throw the ball accurately. 

Overall, this NFL season is shaping up to be an exciting spectacle. Thankfully, the wait is finally over as the season begins Thursday, Sept. 5 with an AFC Championship game rematch between the Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City Chiefs.